Charlotte (Nicks 95 GSR)

Nick_C78

Thanks guys. The whole purpose of this is to really see how far you can push the OEM cams, without getting in to full race car areas like individual throttle bodies, race fuels, etc. I am also trying to prove the importance of valve train weight.

95B18BTurbo

Nick are you running an S300? I could send you a damn good basemap for those injectors as that's what I tuned Mr.Gurley's car with. I started with them from scratch and they are real easy to dial in. SInce your setup is that far off from his, part throttle should be pretty close.

Nick_C78

I actually have an S100 sadly. I appreciate it though. I should be fine using my Bosch ones until I get to the tuner parking lot. Swapping the injectors should only take 10 minutes since I have the plug and play adapters.

Nick_C78

nick these are the injectors i plan to use. I cant wait to see what type of improvements they make
Well, we won't be able to tell what a difference just the injectors made, but there have been other comparisons of this online. I have too much changed between my last dyno in order to see what the injectors alone did.

96LSteg

Jemel
this is true. didnt think about that. You have changed your exhaust and made adjustments to you valve train. What numbers are you expecting/wanting?

Nick_C78

The numbers are a little different. I was at 179/130 on the Raceline Dynojet. However, I won't be tuning there this time. I will be going back to Church Automotive Testing, where my numbers were 203/152 on their Dynapack. I have changed a lot since I tuned at their place last though. That being said I am shooting for 220/160+ on their dyno. That will put me around the 200/140 range when compared to the raceline dyno, but that is going to be hard with these cams and this displacement/compression. So I don't expect anything crazy.

Nick_C78

A lot of progress was made on the car yesterday. It wasn't without its headaches though. Most notably the catback that didn't really fit all that well, but we will get to that later.

I started things off by installing the PasswordJDM 4 point rear strut bar that I recently purchased from a clubintegra forum member. I know I probably will not feel a difference, but it was a good deal so I bought it. Fitment was a pretty good actually. Took a little bit of force to get it to line up, but that is to be expected.

After the strut bar it was time to get down and dirty. I got the cams, timingbelt and all of that jazz installed. Then came a long overdue header upgrade.

Originally I was trying to get PCI to make me a custom skid plate for the Skunk2 alpha header, because it hangs pretty low. Brian took possession of the header, but ultimately decided it wouldn't be worth his time or something and said he will not be making the skid plate. So on Friday I picked up the header from Kiwi's shop. Looks like I will have to make one myself one of these days, before it gets hulk smashed.

So, the Megapower RR has a very interesting fitment. For starters the flange that normally bolts to the cat/test pipe is usually a triangle 3 bolt style flange. On this catback it is a normal 2 bolt flange. That wasn't an issue though since I had decided to cut it off and extend it all the way to the header anyway, eliminating the need for a test pipe. The issue came when it was bolted up. In order to get the bends of the b-pipe to match the bends on the exhaust tunnel it would have to be mounted with the hangers upside down...which gives you this:

Obviously that hangs waaaayyy too low. So I flipped it over so that the hangers would be in the proper position, but then the exhaust hits the chassis in two spots, because the bends don't match the exhaust tunnel when it is flipped over. I elected to go with the second option, because I rather have it touching the chassis than dragging 24/7. it isn't ideal, but we were sick of hacking it up and welding. It had me doubting myself many times as to how it is suppose to go, but it is fine now.

The car is alive once again! It idles insanely smooth for not even being tuned. I opted not to install the RDX injectors until I get to the tuners to prevent any more tuning issues for the commute to OC. The new exhaust and valve harmonics sound really nice together. I was worried that it would sound annoying and raspy, but it actually doesn't and it doesn't drone at all on the freeway like I had expected. With the silencer in it is actually very tolerable all around.

I should be tuning some time this week at Church Automotive Testing.