STILL fuckin leaking

Black94LS

Anti Rice, Yet anti JDM
u should keep the paitned altezzas, they look better than stock IMO, a lot brighter. I didnt do the whole white circle like u did, iw ent for a more 98+ style with an oval shape.

ltrain

Melt said:
well it STILL leaks even with this rubberised stuff .... today i painted over the rubber stuff so the car doesnt look that ghetto .... and acurals209 called me at the ridicilous hour of 8am and woke me up :lol: but anyways im goin snowboardin tommorow so imma go get the trunk seal on the way back home and i seriously hope that fixes it

otherwise my plan is to get a grommet type thing similar to how the sunroof drain goes out the side of the car, drill a hole where the water collects, put that in then put a little bit of piping attach to it on the underside of the car so the water doesnt come back in.

I rubber coated the bottom of the car where the water collects too that way it wont rust if i cant fix this lake ... i mean leak.
mabye your cars haunted hmmmm damn im gettin frustrated for u

NOFX

hater
Okay.... Eran from CC might be able to explain in more detail how my Honda Tech and he found out where my water leak in my Civic coupe is originating from at least. So maybe this will help you.

I've seen a tiny bit of water in my car before. Nothing really major though. I used fabric cleaner on the spot on the trunk "floor" and it's been fine since. No smell, nothing.

Well, just since moving to WA it's began leaking again. Just since we got it back after it was stolen. So it's only been leaking around a month maybe. And a lot. I opened my trunk to see about half an inch of water pooled on top of the fiberglass (whatever the "carpet" stuff is made out of on top of the cardboard-like covering in the trunk of the EX). I dried the trunk as best as I could, but the water kept collecting over the next few days. We stripped the entire trunk so that nothing woudl get damaged as badly (use a clip remover, found at Autozone or similar stores - it looks like a door handle puller, only longer). Just looking in the trunk and where the water was falling and soaking into the cardboard, it looked like it was dripping from the top middle of the trunk seal. Come to find out... that's probably just where it would condense, and then drip from.

We ran a hose over the car and THOUGHT the leak was coming from two tiny pinch welds right on the outside of the trunk seal. I'll try to remember to go out and take photos to better explain this later, since you have the Civic sister car, and well, some things will at least be similarly built. The water would drip from inside, on the "top" of the trunk right about in the middle along the trunk seal. Checked the seal too, it was fine (inspect yours carefully for cracks and splits though).

Later, my Honda Tech decided to try once more to make sure that's where the leak was coming from. We didn't want to use the epoxy and end up still having a leak (it's kind of like silicone when wet, but dries as an epoxy and would have filled the inside chamber in between the body panels with the leaking seam). So he put my car in his garage at his house, took a small space heater, plugged it in and shut it in the trunk of my car. We went inside and waited for EVERYTHING to dry off.

When the entire car was dry, they took a cup of water and poured some near the top of the trunk, where we thought the leak was. It didn't leak. So they dried it off and poured the water at the top of the window. It leaked. Then they dried everything again and moved between those two spots, from the bottom up.

Found out my leak is actually the rear wind shield seal, right along the driver's side. Not AT ALL where we had thought originally.

So my tech is getting me info on the body shop they use for such problems. I'm lucky, my water leak will probably cost me no more than $200. Some water leaks cost up to $5000 though. I also learnt that 2005 Ridgelines are having water leak problems (in the wheel well I think.. they close it entirely up so that it's quiet in the trunk, but water collects in there... guess it's not as closed as they think... so they have to drill a hole in the bottom to drain it).

Anyway, I hope this might help you some and sorry it's so long winded. I wanted to explain everything we had done though. My tech also said my leak was probably started by an accident in the car's past, and these things pretty much just take time to mature into a noticeable leak.

Melt

the lone outdoorsman
got new seal from acurals209 ... put that on

still leaking. I seriously give up, im real sure its not the window cause i took all the trim off there and theres no moisture, plus unlike the civic the entire hatch of the integra comes up

thanks for the post though amy.

NOFX

hater
Trust me, try that leak detecting idea. Make sure you dry it all off in between the spots though. It worked for my car!

Mine is not the trunk, it's the rear window. So it's a comparable size to a hatch.

Melt

the lone outdoorsman
if you check earlier in this thread though i put baby powder everywhere and i know where its comnig in i just dont know how its gettin there ... but ill work on it some more someday

NOFX

hater
Melt said:
if you check earlier in this thread though i put baby powder everywhere and i know where its comnig in i just dont know how its gettin there ... but ill work on it some more someday
See, we thought originally that it was coming in from right by the front corners of my trunk too though. It looked like two welds on either side of the trunk had opened up just enough to let a bit of water in. We couldn't see any light through them though. Come to find out, it's not that.

Upon doing more water tests trying to find the leak, they found out the rear window needs to be reset because it's formed a crack in the seal somewhere along it (we have it narrowed to about a four inch area, but the whole window needs to be reset anyway so it doesn't matter about pinpointing the exact place). It must have been from the suspected rear bumper tap the pervious owner had or the one from when I got lightly hit in a convenience store parking lot about a year and a half or two years ago.

So you have to find out where the water is entering your car in the first place, not where it's exitting inside of the car. ;)

If you repair the place on the inside only then water willl still sit inside the car somewhere and possibly cause it to rust or be damaged some other way.

Melt

the lone outdoorsman
i guess ill start pricing window seals and get it repaired before next winter

NOFX

hater
I'm going to have to bring it to a glass or body shop, where they'll remove the entire rear glass and reset it.

acurals209

SYNDICATE 4 EVR
damm son im sorry the seal dint solver ur problem i hope u find it cuz im strting to get frustrated with ur leak

Melt

the lone outdoorsman
NOFX said:
I'm going to have to bring it to a glass or body shop, where they'll remove the entire rear glass and reset it.
my friend is getin the windshield replaced on his 89 mustang for $150 WITH GLASS ... so imma have him ask the guy if he can reseal my back window when hes over here doing that. (my friend lives across the street)

teggyls

STREET SAMURAI
nice man i hope that fixes ur problem that leaking is pissin me off too lol its been going on forever now

NOFX

hater
Melt said:
my friend is getin the windshield replaced on his 89 mustang for $150 WITH GLASS ... so imma have him ask the guy if he can reseal my back window when hes over here doing that. (my friend lives across the street)
Just blindly repairing things that might be it is not the way.

Just please, try the way I told you. Pour water one spot, have someone in the car to see when it leaks. If it doesn't leak, then dry the car off and do it again a little higher. Once they see water leaking in, then you know you're pouring it on the spot.

The leak inside the car is not the problem. The problem is where it's originally getting into the car. So if it's leaking in the trunk, that doesn't matter. It's where the water is coming in: the trunk seal, the window seal, etc. It can actually seap in through the window seal, drip down in between the panels where you can't see, and then drip into the trunk by a leak near the taillight even. Stopping the leak up inside won't help, you need to repair it on the outside.

Just guessing where it might be leaking will more than likely not solve your problem OR it could turn into one of those expensive water leaks instead of one that costs a couple hundred dollars to fix.