Skunk2 pro series stage 2 cams

RoachGSR

Hey everyone let me thank you in advance for checking my thread. I have a B18C1 I'm having trouble with, I purchased some skunk2 pro 2 cams, I have dual coiled springs, S2 high comp valves, CTR pistons. I adjusted my valve tappet to .007 intake .008 exhaust it idles really rough. It will stabilize the idle but when I give it gas it revs up with a little hesitation but it revs, then when I let off the gas it drops really low and tries to die, or does die.

The shell I put it all in has sat for a while so the gas is old (only a few months.) Could this be an issue? The car is untuned but I should be able to get it to idle and drive well enough to atleast go around the block. Any advise is greatly appreciated. My fuel pressure is good, it is in time, and it also has a brand new headgasket. I'm just baffled.:???:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
lets see:
are you a 1.8l
are you tuned

if you answered no to any of these that is your problem

it will still idle search if its tuned but a 1.8l. those cams like a bigger motor. We built one with those cams on a 1.8 gsr and it just wants to die and it was tuned by DnR on crome. Skunk2 says you can run it with 12.5:1 CR but after speaking with Dave at DnR i think they prefer to have a bigger displacement. That was a big debate i ran into when i was looking at pro2+ cams

RoachGSR

lets see:
are you a 1.8l
are you tuned

if you answered no to any of these that is your problem

it will still idle search if its tuned but a 1.8l. those cams like a bigger motor. We built one with those cams on a 1.8 gsr and it just wants to die and it was tuned by DnR on crome. Skunk2 says you can run it with 12.5:1 CR but after speaking with Dave at DnR i think they prefer to have a bigger displacement. That was a big debate i ran into when i was looking at pro2+ cams
It is 1.8, and not tuned yet I just put it together. I'm just trying to get it to quit dying. If you dont mind me asking what cams did you go with after the pro 2's?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
i went with a ctr cam. your car wont stop dying unless you tune it. What basemap do you have? the car will always have a weird idle with that displacement i think.

RoachGSR

i went with a ctr cam. your car wont stop dying unless you tune it. What basemap do you have? the car will always have a weird idle with that displacement i think.
My tune Im running was for this motor with all the same stuff except a set of ITR cams. I have CAI, Blox IM, ADJ FPR, dual coiled springs, skunk2 valves, pr3 pistons, titanium retainers, try y headers, 2.5" test pipe, and exhaust. I really hope its just a tuning issue.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
its the tune and the displacement most likely i think those cams are too big for a 1.8l. Wait, do you have pr3 pistons or pct pistons now

RoachGSR

its the tune and the displacement most likely i think those cams are too big for a 1.8l. Wait, do you have pr3 pistons or pct pistons now
I went to pr3's. It has pretty high compression. I'm just gonna put it together and see what it'll do til I can tune it. Is it possible to upload a video of the idle? I could post it to youtube, take a listen?
I put in another ecu it seems better.

Last edited:

RoachGSR

So I went thru it again, burped the coolant system again. Now all seems good it idles at 750 rpm's does'nt bog down when I yank on the throttle, no loping idle. I also turned up my fuel pressure a little, it sounds badass. Im gonna toss in the dash, a seat and test it out.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
:thumbs up
looks like the cams worked out for you. Those cams from my research are really hit or miss on working on a smaller motor.

RoachGSR

I took it out for a quick spin down the block last night . Vtec cracked off hard as hell a 3 gear pull got me 105 (approx. cuase my speedo is off a little) mph at a modest 8800 rpm shift point. Gonna trailor it to Denver this weekend for a little dyno fun. These cams are BEAST. Get you some

ALL M0T0R

DDTECHCAMS.COM
CTR pistons ugh..

The cams should be put to skunk2's drop in settings because i'm assuming thats all you did.
CTR pistons are a terrible design, and you would have been way better off with pr3's or p30's.. just a fyi.

Get it tuned, before you melt something.