new to the car scene

grimslight

hey everyone just wanted to say whats up im 24 in the military married with a 3yr old little girl and i finally got enough money where i can finally get a project car. I have wanted do start one for years but never had the money but now i do the car will eb at my house april 8th i will put up some pics. Its a 1992 acura integra GSR i bought it for 2000 after shipping and everything i ended up paying roughly about 2700 not to bad

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
welcome to CI ! nice GSR:)thank you for your service to our great country:thumbs up

grimslight

thanks for the support, i cant wait for the car to get to my house im stoked. i do have a question though the car has about 200k miles on it and i asked the guy if the timing belt or anything has been changed he said he didnt know when the last time it was changed so when the car gets here what should i get done to it tune up wise i just want to make sure the car is up and running perfect befor i start any modding or anything to it

jeepers94

93 Integra GS
I know that when I got mine I went through to make sure everything was good to go. here are some of the things I checked/did. oil change, spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter, pcv valve, brakes (only had to do the front pads and rotors) air filter and breather filter. I don't know how much you want to do, but I guess if you really needed to you could also do the belts, radiator flush, trans service, etc. I just stuck with the basics.

grimslight

k thanks i plan on getting a full tune up all fluids changed and im going to check and see if the belts of hoses need changed i can do all the belts but the timing myself cause i dont know how to set the timing after changing so ill have to take it into a shop

99sil-teg

Jointhe Wingless Movement
Looks clean and the price wasn't too bad either, body looks straight and for a car that old thats a big deal. Like the others said do maintence before you start going for a build, I would def check the timing belt (I had a very bad experience with mine :() Also welcome to the forum.

grimslight

yea im going to get the timing belt changed for sure do you happen to know off hand how much that would cost if i took it into a shop because i have no idea how to do it myself or if anyone could lead me in the direction in where i could find detail steps on how to do it that would be awesome :) also with the car being so old do you have to order parts or would i be able to walk into like auto zone and be like hey i need a timeing belt and they'll have it in stock?

jay8801

welcome to the site nice teg and to answer your question about the parts most of the things u would want u may have a hard time finding in auto zone because they stopped making integras like i had a hard time finding a radiator hose for my teg because of this reason. but you might luck up who knows lol. but the internet will become your best friend because you will find a lot more parts for a lot less good luck:thumbs up

99sil-teg

Jointhe Wingless Movement
On the price thing, I was shot 700 for my dc, it would have been way cheaper doing it yourself... which I wish I would have done.

grimslight

wow 700 i would do it myself if i knew how and i cant find anywhere online that gives you detailed instructions how to do it so it looks like i will have to take it to a shop :(

jay8801

if you plain on doing alot of the work yourself you should pick up a diy manual for your car Hanes helped me whenever i got stumped lol