Mirrorimg's build thread

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Jaguar Racing Green.
I had answered this in the VIP, but you must have missed it. The Head has zero miles on it, it will undergo a 20min break in at about 2000RPMs when I get it running and the timing set. The block has seen about 15,000 miles. Not sure how long it will last as I noticed a bit of scoring on the cylinder walls when I pulled the head.
yeah my bad jason i missed it. =/. How did you break in the block? when my friend broke in his C1 with blox B cams and us itr pistons he would do pulls in 2,3,4 and take it to variable rpms and let it decelerate by its self to 2k other friends let it idle.

mirrorimg

yeah my bad jason i missed it. =/. How did you break in the block? when my friend broke in his C1 with blox B cams and us itr pistons he would do pulls in 2,3,4 and take it to variable rpms and let it decelerate by its self to 2k other friends let it idle.
No worries. I dont frequent the VIP as much as I used to, so I miss a considerable amount more than you ;)

Broke in over about 500 miles, though the rings were probably set by 250 or less.

I drove it like I normally would, trying to keep stop and go to a minimum. For the first 50 miles, I did small pulls up to about 3000rpm. Then the next 50 I would take it up to 4k. The third 50 miles I would take it to 5k, and so on.

I read quite a few "break-in" methods, and went with that one. Doesnt seem to be giving me any problems. Not sure what the cylinder scoring is from. If I have to get a new block it will be a B20 with some higher comp pistons, reusing all of my hardware and rods (which have been machined to accept ITR style pistons). That would save a pretty penny.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
b20 would be nice. I think im going to go with the drive it like you stole it method, might just do it on the dyno...im 100% sure ill get impounded if i do it on the street lol!

mirrorimg

I put most of the car back together. Put the timing covers back on, reinstalled the crank pulley and all of my belts. Hooked up the last of the connectors.

All that is left is:
Oil change (swapped the filter while the head was off 8) )
Top off the coolant and bleed the system (going to need a new radiator because this ebay special leaks)
Reinstall the header (to drive it to the shop and get the new header welded up)
Put the spark plugs and plug wires on (awaiting them to come in the mail)
Set the ignition timing with a timing light.

I will then be taking care of the tires and CV boots when they arrive.

mirrorimg

Alright, sort of a big update, but not finished yet.

Initial start ups werent working, and when I did get it turned over it would not idle. I though it was an issue with the motor needing more air, so I turned the idle screw out. That didnt help. Turned out the exhaust cam was off a tooth.

Heres a little video of start up, which was taken in 4:3 aspect ratio (terrible quality, but the video is 50mb -.-) A new video will be coming when the car is all done in 16:9, which hopefully proves a bit better quality.

While I was working on the car, the same kids that hit the truck down my street and drove off, came around again. I quickly jotted the plate down on something I had available, and walked down the street. As I neared the house, I see the kids trotting down the road. They werent their to own up and talk to the owner (why would they drive down the street, park, then walk back?). So as I am talking with the owner, handing him the plate number, the kids walk along the sidewalk in front of his house. He got a look at them and the owners son hopped in his car and copied down the plates of the kids parked truck. Not sure what all went about after that. The owner definitely called the cops and im positive the tracked the kid down.

Hopefully they dont come back at me for retaliation, considering I was there at the scene and they saw me both times working on my car :???:

So I just got my new Koyo in the mail yesterday and installed it after my kickball game. I didnt get a chance for any pictures or filling it up with coolant until today. I used a couple washer to space out the cooling plate so the radiator wouldnt rub on it. The stock fan bolts on in one place which is lame, as I bought it specifically because I believed the fans to be fitting like OEM. The condensor fan is not installed because I need to have room to pull the header out when I go get the new one welded up.

Cman46290

Good stuff here... ill bet your anxious to just get this thing up and going... as a DD again...

Keep us updated.

Watch for them little turd kids.... you may have to throw a beat down before you know it :)

Good thing for you... you constantly have many tools laying around to crack wigs with :twisted:

mirrorimg

Car is still sitting until I can knock down a couple things. I paid for 2 new tires that will be coming through my friends shop in the next week, and my header is at the fab shop I am going to (who will also tune the car on a local shops dyno).

The fabricator had to order a test pipe which should come in tomorrow. I will probably go over there after work to have it done as he works some late nights.

A friend/member (Dylan) asked me about how I sealed the intake piping where it enters the airbox so I took some photos for him. Its not 100% sealed and could use some more trimming, but this is how it sits.

And here is the connector that attaches the lower tubing to the air box. It sure was a pain getting it fitted and installed.

Last edited:

mirrorimg

I had a local fabricator weld me up a flex pipe extension for my new header, and glad he did some quality work. Cost a bit more than I expected, but Im happy its done.

Car is on jackstands right now, but I will get some pictures of it before I drop it down.

I also ordered a new axle back to hopefully quell my currently very loud system after the header install. Its a JDM Mugen Twin Loop and I expect to get it sometime next week. Cant wait until it gets here 8)

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
i ran into the same problems with my koyo radiator too... and i had a FAL dual slim fan :thumbdown: couldn't clear my header. so i ended up using the OE radiator :(

pepsilude

Loving the progress :thumbup:

i ran into the same problems with my koyo radiator too... and i had a FAL dual slim fan :thumbdown: couldn't clear my header. so i ended up using the OE radiator :(
same here :(, wasted my money on the FAL fans.

mirrorimg

I bought the Koyo because I got to use the stock fans. I will never run those radiator zipties again that go through the fins. Those things really messed up my last radiator's fins.

Loving the progress :thumbup:
Thanks! She's coming along slowly.

Some pictures from after the header install. I havent driven it around much as it has been on jackstands while I do some maintenance. I bought 2 new tires for the fronts and had them put on, and I replaced a torn CV boot on the driver's side. I bought two, but later realized I only needed to do one. Extra maintenance parts ftw :). I also ordered a JDM Mugen Twin Loop axle back the other day from a JDM importer based in cali (off of HondaMarketplace). I should get it sometime next week.

Heres some pictures of the header. The shop I took it to has some roadwork being done and I misjudged a drop and put some scratches into the header already. I will have to be much more vigilant unlike with my last header :???:

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
the FAL dual slim fans are designed to fit like OE, and they do, it doesn't require to drill into it but rather made a brace to fit on it. its just koyo never mentioned the fan wont clear the header side