Is the Type R worth it?

2_Liter_Turbo

hmm, well I'm poor........ lol :lol:

I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes open for a B18C1! That's where I'll start. Then most likely to the ITR tranny (gotta have LSD), then I'll think about swapping to a B16 or Type R head if I find one, haha :D

2_Liter_Turbo

I want to keep a stock engine bay look to it, so will the Type R intake manifold be good enough, or should I go with one of the aftermarket versions?

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
i really dont think there the same......i remember seeing something on how the b16 si trans is a little different than the itr trans other than the lsd.....now they said you cant even notice just by driving it....its a minor ratio.

i COULD be wrong.
GSR, 96 itr tranny, ctr tranny, and b16 tranny has 4.4 final drive and 98 itr tranny has 4.785 final drive.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I heard from someone that the Type R head is more like the B16 head than the GSR head. So would a GSR block and a b16 head be good then? Just figuring things out, lol 8)
GSR with a PR3 head will hardly gain horsepower. Your going to lose compression that way, I don't like the gsr heads because of the square combustion chambers, I don't like to deal with the damn quench pads they have.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
GSR with a PR3 head will hardly gain horsepower. Your going to lose compression that way
I say "who cares." If he is willing to build then compression isn't an issue.

He seems to be in the same situation that I was going into. I bought a USDM B18C1, gonne build it good, and probably sell the head and get a B16 head. Then get it ports opened up and matched to both manifolds. Compression isn't an issue to me considering I'm replacing the pistons anyway, headgasket...etc. anyway

ITR tranny's are NOT cheap. You always could keep an eye out for just an ITR LSD or another if the price is right. That way you could find a cheaper tranny and still come out with a limited slip. Just a thought.....depending on how tight your budget may be

Last edited:

2_Liter_Turbo

^^^ I'm just planning right now, because over the next few months, all of my resources are going to my S13. I'm going for about 400 whp on it, so that's where my focus is right now. Then comes the DD/auto-x warrior Integra! BTW, how do you like your G-games wheels? There's a guy local to me that is selling a set that look just like yours (17x7 +42) for $500 w/o tires.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
^^^ I'm just planning right now, because over the next few months, all of my resources are going to my S13. I'm going for about 400 whp on it, so that's where my focus is right now. Then comes the DD/auto-x warrior Integra! BTW, how do you like your G-games wheels? There's a guy local to me that is selling a set that look just like yours (17x7 +42) for $500 w/o tires.
Those wheels look good and they're made by Rays!

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
I love them! They are great wheels!

But considering a change just because I'm tired of having dark wheels. I originally had GM Volk Le37T. They got stolen so I went to a gloss black Axis Hiro to hold me over. Then went to the GM Ro_Ja Formula 5......which I traded for my Ggames and kinda regret.

I got 2 different rims in mind but I'm indecisive.......

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I say "who cares." If he is willing to build then compression isn't an issue.
And in the rest of my post I stated I don't like the GSR Heads because of their square combution chambers, quench pads, and retarted bolt patern. Some tuners love the gsr head, I know endyn swears by them.

Last edited:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
I just thought you were saying don't go with a PR3 head due to the loss of compression.

Nevermind

jdm jon

im considering just building my stock GSR, i allready have a b16 tranny, soon ill starting off with buddy club stg3 cams, valves,spring and retainers(everything buddyclub).....and then eventually getting my bottom end built....my guess is ill be putting out more HP. then a type R with this set up.