Is the Type R worth it?

2_Liter_Turbo

Well, I want to eventually (after my S13 is done, lol) swap over a b18C engine into my LS. My ultimate goal is to basically have a 250 or so WHP N/A daily driver, that looks like an OEM Type R (with the Japanese front end). Now, is the Type R engine really worth the extra 2 grand? I think it's a bit absurd for the whopping 20hp increase, when I can easy do that with some other mods. Just wanted to get some opinions, and to see ideas from a different perspective.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
If you are planning on doing a complete build then I don't think there is many reasons to get a B18C. The C and C5 have better cams, head, and higher compression pistons with a better header....etc. If you plan on building it then you will probably upgrade all of those things anyway.

The only benefit IMO is the ITR tranny. Shorter ratio's and an LSD.

Last edited:

8urcivic

ONLY couches pull out!!!!
If you are planning on doing a complete build then I don't think there is many reasons to get a B18C. The C and C5 have better cams, head, and higher compression pistons with a better header....etc. If you plan on building it then you will probably upgrade all of those things anyway.

i agree with him about the tranny.

personally i would just build up a gsr.....you can get a gsr engine for 1500.........cams, pistons, valves, springs etc......be well over 220 hp.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Plus the USDM Type R is rated at a 25hp advantage. It only puts down, on average, around 11-12 more whp than a GS-R though. Makes it hard to justify the price difference

Healthy GSR's should put around 150whp. My '96 GSR put down 150.1 bonestock with 180k miles. Type R's baseline around 160-165

Last edited:

2_Liter_Turbo

So basically a GS-R engine, with an ITR tranny would be the way to go. That sounds better for me! lol :lol: I apologize for the newb questions, I haven't been into Honda's since I got my first S13 about 4-5 years ago, lol. I've had 2 civics, 1 accord, and am now on my second integra, haha 8) When you don't pay attention to the details, you kinda forget some stuff!

Alexs GSR

bumblebee & killer bee
They don't call it a Hype-R for nothing.

Yeah, GSR motor (built some) with an ITR trans = :thumbup:

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Go with the GSR and build it! Damn... 250whp eh? There goes your MPG. Lol!

ltrain

dont forget the lighter flywheel

8urcivic

B16 trans is the same gears as the itr just without an lsd. You also get a better head to work with if you go the ITR route imo.
i really dont think there the same......i remember seeing something on how the b16 si trans is a little different than the itr trans other than the lsd.....now they said you cant even notice just by driving it....its a minor ratio.

i COULD be wrong.

2_Liter_Turbo

I heard from someone that the Type R head is more like the B16 head than the GSR head. So would a GSR block and a b16 head be good then? Just figuring things out, lol 8)

8urcivic

I heard from someone that the Type R head is more like the B16 head than the GSR head. So would a GSR block and a b16 head be good then? Just figuring things out, lol 8)
yes...its called a poor mans type-r

if you change out your stock intake mani on the gsr to a skunk 2 or a blox itr replica...youll gain more than the 5 hp the simple head swap would get you.