Mirrorimg's build thread

mirrorimg

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got my eye on you Jason, :naughty:.
Haha alright bud. Maybe I'll finally bust out my video camera and take many videos of my failed attempts at starting it.

If Robbie was still lurking, I'm sure he would at he would drive over to help, and then not. Where you at, local?

mirrorimg

Anything done today Jason?
Havent uploaded the pics yet, but the head is on and torqued down. I need to torque the cam cover bolts, and put the timing belt on. Started to get a bit windy and chilly so I called it a day.

I need to put the piston #1 at TDC and set my timing. Its a pain in the ass slipping the belt over these cam gears.

mirrorimg

wow i didnt know your were going under a rebuild. i hope your rebuild goes better than mine.
Rebuild started last year and finished in the end of 09. This is an upgrade of the rebuild ;)

Didnt do anything today. Weather did not cooperate. Its been a light rain/mist all day long. Motor still sits with the timing belt hanging off and cam caps not tightened down. Im hoping to have some daylight after work to finish it up before next weekend. I will have to reschedule the exhaust work until I finish the motor and can drive it around.

Last edited:

mirrorimg

Set my timing tonight after work. Have an interesting story during that process.

While I was jacking the car up, there were 3 young guys (high school age) in a green chevy S10 riding around the block multiple times. They were goofing off a bit, tapping on the accelerator, but not going fast, so I let it be. By the fourth time they passed by, I stared, I stared hard. They ended up passing by, then backing up. Well this was going to get interesting. The kid in the passenger seat called out and asked if I knew where some person (by last name) lived. Never heard of the name, but I only know about 25% of my neighbors by name. They went around again and then i hear a BANG.

The driver lost focus on the road and sideswiped a ford ranger by the tail light. Only brushed against him, but scared the crap out of the kid. They pulled over and assessed the damage. I stared down the road (ot was about 6 houses down) and then went inside to get my phone to call the police/write down their plate. By the time I come out and start walking towards them they hopped in the car and drove off. Called the police, talked to the home owner, and thats that. Hit an run, and I watched it go down.

Once that was over I got back to the car. Pulled the crank pulley/timing belt cover off and set the timing and hooked up some sensors and coolant hoses. I have some things on order (new plugs and plug wires) as well as some odds and ends like CV boots. This is how she sits now. I could crank it over tomorrow with my old plugs if I wanted to, but I will wait.

Last edited:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
damn! dude when people drive around like that i tell my boys to start getting ready in case something goes down

mirrorimg

They were goofing off, but they weren't being reckless (until they smashed into the truck obviously). If they had been gunning it around the block, or chirping the tires, I would have done something immediately. I hopped in my truck and took a little drive to see if they had pulled over to get a better look at their truck, but they were no where to be seen.

Probably high-tailed it home afterwards.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
They were goofing off, but they weren't being reckless (until they smashed into the truck obviously). If they had been gunning it around the block, or chirping the tires, I would have done something immediately. I hopped in my truck and took a little drive to see if they had pulled over to get a better look at their truck, but they were no where to be seen.

Probably high-tailed it home afterwards.
no insurance probably

jznsn2u

Jason I think the top of your power steering reservoir is super dirty :lol:. Congrats on getting the head on! Have you started it up since?

mirrorimg

nice work. jw, what color is our DB's? the name of the green color?
Jaguar Racing Green.
no insurance probably
They are probably on their parents insurance, just kids flipping out because they know they are in trouble and bolting. I wonder if their parents are respectable enough to find out what happened and take the kid to fess up.

Jason I think the top of your power steering reservoir is super dirty :lol:. Congrats on getting the head on! Have you started it up since?
I actually painted all of the reservoir covers with a gray/black metallic paint I had. You can see it chipping away on the wiper fluid reservoir. I painted all of the covers including the fuse box cover in the bay. I put the sticker on the inside of the cover.

A subtle little change that balanced out the gray and black colors. Nothing extreme ;)

The car hasnt been started. I will pull out the video camera for that. I am waiting on my plugs/wires to come in, and I will be renting a timing light to get the dizzy set right for the trip to the exhaust fabricator/tuner.

have you broken in the motor?
I had answered this in the VIP, but you must have missed it. The Head has zero miles on it, it will undergo a 20min break in at about 2000RPMs when I get it running and the timing set. The block has seen about 15,000 miles. Not sure how long it will last as I noticed a bit of scoring on the cylinder walls when I pulled the head.