the death of stick shift

DarkDB1

My DB1 is my first and only stick i own/owned.

All the other cars were automatics, All 5 others... I do enjoy driving a stick more, But the last car I got was a 2003 TL-S Tiptronic-Auto... Mainly because I was commuting 107 miles a day (to and from work)... In rush hour traffic. It's just not fun in traffic for 2 hours to and about 3 hours from.

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
My DB1 is my first and only stick i own/owned.

All the other cars were automatics, All 5 others... I do enjoy driving a stick more, But the last car I got was a 2003 TL-S Tiptronic-Auto... Mainly because I was commuting 107 miles a day (to and from work)... In rush hour traffic. It's just not fun in traffic for 2 hours to and about 3 hours from.
i know what you mean. anytime i go down town it blows... but with the good comes the bad

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
There are a lot of people who cant read maps now a days... so sad :(
Hell, there's people that can't even read hand clocks anymore...

yeah... when i said that i meant the use of a clutch pedal... :roll:
okay, lets see you rip around in a F1 car and still push the clutch in to shift. I guarantee you don't come near the times the other "shitty-automatic-drivers" are getting

i'm glad you feel that way but you do know that some of the fastest cars in the world are auto, right?
I agree with you 100%. on a personal car, I'd much rather have a manual. it's more fun to be able to actually decide where the power in your car is going, but the truth of the matter is exactly what Silver Knight said, that these 6/7/8 speed transmissions shift faster, more efficient, and smoother then anything a human foot/arm could even imagine doing.

not to mention the speed of these transmissions is amazing! I remember watching a topgear episode earlier this year where Clarkson test drove a ferrari that's transmission would shift faster then you could blink your eyes. That car is putting power to the ground in 2nd gear before you can even think about moving the muscles to push your foot to the ground. By the time you're manually in 2nd gear, that car is already halfway thru the RPMs in 2nd gear getting ready for 3rd.

Another thing is inspecting these gearboxes and how they work.. after taking a transmission course at school and seeing "how" these machine's work, it's no wonder they're faster. at the time VW's had a transmission that shifts about the fastest you could get for a typical consumer car. Basically it was a manual transmission with 2 clutches... one for 1/3/5 and the other for 2/4/6

While 1st gear was engaged, the 2nd gear clutch was "pushed in" and ready to drop. when you left first gear, 2nd gear was already letting go and engaged the second 1st let go. lets see you even TRY and compete with that speed.

Times are changing, and you saying Manual transmissions are the best and always will be the best, is like your grandparents cursing at fuel injection.

Believe it or not, man has actually gone to space. lol

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
i'm glad you feel that way but you do know that some of the fastest cars in the world are auto, right?
Hell, there's people that can't even read hand clocks anymore...

okay, lets see you rip around in a F1 car and still push the clutch in to shift. I guarantee you don't come near the times the other "shitty-automatic-drivers" are getting
im not trying to say that anyone could keep up with them with a conventional manual transmission. and i never said anything about "shitty auto drivers" im just saying, that when you take a clutch pedal out of the equation, its almost like taking the driver out of the equation. thats one less thing that makes the man a piece of the car.

cmoney176

CMONEY176
ive owned a manel toyo supra turbo, a manual eagle talon, and manual conquest tsi turbo. i currently own a 93 teg. the diffrence in the auto and manual imo is, 1 with a manual you get the joy of changing gears and knowing that you are in control of the power of the car. it can be a hassel in the city but once on the open roraod thereis nothing like it. as far as an automatic well if you live in the city its one less thing to worry about. yet ifyou can set your shift points just right your can still get the thrill of feeling the power being layed down. it depends on the person and what they use the car for. as for me either or ive loved all my cars and no matter what it is be it a manual or automatic i treat them the same. just like my kids you might say. LOVE YOUR CAR NO MATTER WHAT!!!!!!

Ghettokracker71

LS/Vturd
If the uber new automatics transmissions are faster,...

I'll be happier,and slower enjoying my real clutch pedal. Thats just my opinion though.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
^ I totally agree, but it's just the truth of what's going to happen. Human's are lazy. that's basically what it comes down to. EVERYTHING is invented to make it easier for us to do something.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
If I were to get an Evo X, I would get the GSR over the MR just so I could have a clutch pedal.

chrisjames

chrisjames
The flappy panel gearbox is the future. It's inevitable.
what the hell is that?

i think its a shame too because learning to drive stick makes you a better more cautious driver, think about how long it would take some young 16 year old to drive while texting talking on a cell or even how long it would take for him to feel comfortable to really blast music. i know it made me a safer driver, by slapping the lazy right outta me.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
what the hell is that?

i think its a shame too because learning to drive stick makes you a better more cautious driver, think about how long it would take some young 16 year old to drive while texting talking on a cell or even how long it would take for him to feel comfortable to really blast music. i know it made me a safer driver, by slapping the lazy right outta me.
For instance, the GT-R R35. The dual-clutch transmission.

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
what the hell is that?

a F1 style trans

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
not even F1 anymore. Just a more common, more efficient trans. Vdub's have been using it since like 04 I think, and BMW even before that

acurals209

SYNDICATE 4 EVR
shit i have a 1989 honda civic dx 5 spd 4dr no power steering no a/c no power nothing basic as you can find them and i love it lol so when i get in the integra i fell like im in a fucking cadilac lol