the death of stick shift

chrisjames

chrisjames
i just read this article about the death of the stick shift,
quote: "In 1980, J.D. Powers and Associates estimates that more than 35% of all cars sold had a stick shift. By 2005, that number had dropped to 6%. Four years later, finding a car with a manual transmission is a big challenge -- you have to go either high end or very low end. 2008 was the last year that any manufacturer of full sized trucks offered a manual transmission"

weird.

http://digg.com/d1o1Z2

Silver Knight

i've been thinking about this for a while now. especially when i worked for Lexus and most of their vehicles were automatic. it was like a wet dream whenever i saw a stick come in. the reason why i think its happening is because why deal with a 5 or 6sp manual when you can have an 6/7/8 speed automatic with a transmission similar to a F1 gearbox. think abut how long it takes to shift gears in a manual vs these new auto trannys that are coming out. manual car= let off gas, hit clutch pedal, shift into next gear, step off clutch pedal, get back onto gas pedal VS automatic in sports mode or whatever they are calling it these days= hit a fricken pedal behind the steering and instant change in gears that takes less time than it does to blink. Another reason is because people are becoming lazy as fuck now a days that they don't want to take the time to learn how to drive a stick. And since people are becoming this way, manufacturers are building them this way. Supply and demand.

small edit: i refuse to own anything unless its a manual. If it ever comes to that time when there are no more manuals, well then fuck my life.

Last edited:

J_Jay_B

teg driver
i feel the same way as you do... nothing i ever own will be an automatic and may god smite me if i own an auto.

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
i will never own a manual untill i own kids. even then i will prolly have a third car with a stick. imo no matter how good the new auto/manual gear boxes are, it takes too much of the driver out of the equation. knowing how to drive a stick requires a LOT more skill than flicking a pedal... racing will never be as hard without a clutch

Cheesenip

I <3 2.4l's
the problem is...Americans are fuckin lazy. Thats why cars do so much now. No one wants to manually adjust mirrors, shift, or adjust their seat.

In a few years, no one will be able to read a map anymore. GPS

99sil-teg

Jointhe Wingless Movement
the problem is...Americans are fuckin lazy. Thats why cars do so much now. No one wants to manually adjust mirrors, shift, or adjust their seat.

There are a lot of people who cant read maps now a days... so sad :(

AcurInteg96

Just call me chris.
i have a gps. haha. and this is the first stick ive ever owned. but now when i drive automatics. i get bored and im not really into driving like i am when im in my car. i like knowing that i can control when my car shifts not to mention that even with auto-stick when its in stick mode itll still shift for you if you dont shift within its rpm settings.

Silver Knight

i will never own a manual untill i own kids. even then i will prolly have a third car with a stick. imo no matter how good the new auto/manual gear boxes are, it takes too much of the driver out of the equation. knowing how to drive a stick requires a LOT more skill than flicking a pedal... racing will never be as hard without a clutch
then stick with auto.

did i not say that?

XslickwhitetegX

UKDM EXPERT
i agree with allex... but in my case i feel more safety in an auto for medical reasons.. if i drive a stick and god for sack something happens I couldn't control the car, so thats really the only reason why i drivean auto...but hey thats life, hell im lucky to be alive anyways..

not to mention i got an auto so no one races me.. i've hhad many friends die cuz of that... i was thinking about seeing thought if i could possably do the auto stick thing..haha or b&M shifter

Silver Knight

what the hell do you mean stick with auto? i drive a manual and always will
look at the what you typed ^^^ it makes no sense.

racing will never be as hard without a clutch? that makes no sense. cars w/auto's even have clutches. or did you mean clutch pedal?

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
look at the what you typed ^^^ it makes no sense.

racing will never be as hard without a clutch? that makes no sense. cars w/auto's even have clutches. or did you mean clutch pedal?
yeah... when i said that i meant the use of a clutch pedal... :roll:

tsu878

"Supersonic Vtec fun"
i have a auto rx7 but i dont drive it cause its auto, i stick to manual only and soon the 7 will be a manual untill then ill be in the teggy. Auto's are for girls!!

Silver Knight

i have a auto rx7 but i dont drive it cause its auto, i stick to manual only and soon the 7 will be a manual untill then ill be in the teggy. Auto's are for girls!!
i'm glad you feel that way but you do know that some of the fastest cars in the world are auto, right?