knocking noise from engine

grimslight

yea but im a newb and i dont know exactly what other engines will fit in the car hopefully i can find something soon if not ill have to sell my baby cause like i said im moving soon :(

sportsma1539

yep that engine will fit. Its not too hard to pull an engine. You have to pull the axles out of the tranny, unbolt the exhaust, pull out the radiator, find all the hoses that connect from the firewall to the engine, unbolt the a/c and set it aside, unbolt the power steering and set it aside, leave the alternator and tranny on when pulling the engine, get an engine hoist and unbolt the motor mounts, unhook the speedometer cable on the tranny, unbolt the shift linkage from the tranny, unbolt the gas pedal cable off the intake manifold, pull out the battery and unhook the two wires that go into the fuse box. Unhook the electrical connectors on the left and right side of the engine. Im sure I'm missing something.

maq

yep that engine will fit. Its not too hard to pull an engine. You have to pull the axles out of the tranny, unbolt the exhaust, pull out the radiator, find all the hoses that connect from the firewall to the engine, unbolt the a/c and set it aside, unbolt the power steering and set it aside, leave the alternator and tranny on when pulling the engine, get an engine hoist and unbolt the motor mounts, unhook the speedometer cable on the tranny, unbolt the shift linkage from the tranny, unbolt the gas pedal cable off the intake manifold, pull out the battery and unhook the two wires that go into the fuse box. Unhook the electrical connectors on the left and right side of the engine. Im sure I'm missing something.
Vacuum hoses.

Good luck man. I would bet on hoses, and connectors breaking when you take it out. Be ready to replace them.

sportsma1539

sounds like a pan in the ass lol wounder if it would be easier just to take it to a shop and faster

of course it would be easier and faster. Its easier because you're not doing and faster because someone that knows what they are doing will be working on it. But you will probably save $700 or more if you do it yourself. Gotta make up your mind.

grimslight

well speaking that i only have the regualr tools like sockets and wrenches i dont think i would be able to put an engien in im a newb

grimslight

ok so i called and talked to the guy i got the car from like i said i have only had the car about 2 weeks now when i got the car to my house i noticed the knocking noise and i asked him what the knocking was he said that he asked a macanic they told him it was a loose bolt somewhere that didnt sound right ot me so i asked some people at work they told me it sounded like it was the flywheel/clutch going out. so i put the car up on jack stands i got under the car and had it started i then noticed the knocking noise was coming from the oil pan area. i was told it was ether the rod bearings or the oil pump and well im not getting an oil light or anything and when i got the car to my house i had it delivered on a truck i checked the oil and everything and there was no oil in the car at all wow what kind of a dumbass dont put oil in there car. anyway i asked the guy how long the knocking was going on for and he told me 2 months. WOW wtf this is such a old car and rare car and someone is just going to let the car knock like that for 2 months wtf so now im thinking that im going to have to drop a new engine in it. o where o where am i going to find the money to get a new engine. its sad that someone who has a rare b17 engine isnt going to take car or it like that the sad thing is he knew it was a rare engine looks like its not going to be so rare anymore cause ill have to be getting rid it. Incase anyone missed it here is a video of what is sounded like here is the link to youtube for it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEaF4IHY4bg

sportsma1539

You need to use some periods in your sentences. Its really hard to read. Sorry bout the car. I just got screwed over on the replacement engine I bought for my integra too. Found out that I have no compression on the 1st cylinder. I pulled the old engine and put the new one in to end up finding this out. So in a way, I know how you feel.

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
Okay that is definitly a rod, no idea why it did that. Check your oil ( anitfreeze present? ) I just had my Cavalier blow a Rod, and it went through my crankcase. Most ways a rod bearing, Lifters, and other objects from the engine go out real quick when antifreeze leaks into oil and thats from a head gasket, but its already knocking so its GG New Engine.

sportsma1539

well if you lived around me I would help you with it. I just pulled mine out again in about 2 hours today. Its really simple once you know what you're doing.

grimslight

yea i take it in friday a found a shop that will only charge me 20 to give me an idea on what the problem is wish me luck. I did change the oil the other day and i didnt notice or see any metal flakes in the oil pan so thats a good dign right?