knocking noise from engine

grimslight

OK so I have a problem. My 92 gsr has a knocking noise when idle, and it seems to be getting faster when I rev. It doesn't sound like it is coming from the top of the engine, and I have had a couple people tell me what they think, and they said it was coming from what they think is the flywheel/clutch area. What do you think? If it was coming from the flywheel/clutch area would it get faster when i rev it? I am thinking about taking the valve cover off and look and see if i see anything out of the ordaniary in there. I'm just trying to get it down to what it is before I buy the wrong part. It doesnt grind any gears or anything but it's tough to get into gear at times so let me know what you think. Hopefully it is just the clutch and flywheel like they said and not something to do with the engine itself, cause i dont have the money to pay someone to fix somthing in the engine. I would post a video of it but my exhaust is so loud that you would prob only hear the exhaust.

Last edited by a moderator:
so you said your engine is making a knocking noise. nobody here is going to be able to tell you 100% what the problem without hearing it first. post that vid and lets see what happens.

grimslight

well today i got up under my car and i noticed the knocking noise was coming from around the oil pan area i have been told it could be a number of things bearings, oil pump i wish i could pin point the the problem so i could get the part and fix it. it scares me lol i dont want my whole car to break lol. HEEEELLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!
o yea im going to go try and do the vid right now and try to figure out how to post it.

sportsma1539

Yea if its coming from the oil pan you can about guarantee a rod bearing is what is causing your knocking. Your rod bearings are just above the oil pan.

grimslight

yea thats what i heard how hard are they to replace and who knows how long its been like this i just got the car last week so im guessing that there is prob some damage in there also from the rod bearings what you think

sportsma1539

I hope you didnt pay too much for the car. From what I've read, most people just swap in a new engine when they have a rod knocking. Im sure you could fix it but I couldnt tell you the best way to do it. Youll need somene elses input on this.

grimslight

I hope you didnt pay too much for the car. From what I've read, most people just swap in a new engine when they have a rod knocking. Im sure you could fix it but I couldnt tell you the best way to do it. Youll need somene elses input on this.

i payed 2k for it so not to bad i plan on dropping a new engine in it around tax season i just need this one to last till then.

sportsma1539

Sounds like a rod. I just bought a 92 a couple weeks ago for $700 with a knocking rod and it sounded just like that. It actually wouldnt run for very long and the oil light would come on. Its only gonna get worse. Ill be firing up the new engine tomorrow though.

mirrorimg

You would have to tear the whole engine apart to fix the problem. SOoooo. you can pull it out and rebuild, or replace

grimslight

yea im not getting a oil light or anything and it does die out or anything i wish the part stores around here would carry the parts i have to order all the parts then wait for them

grimslight

i dont have the money to rebuild it right now or replace it maybe i should just sell this car and look for something else maybe a better running one

mirrorimg

Well with a bad motor you wont get much for it. You can figure out how much the parts and equipment is going to be, or how much parts and labor from a shop, and fgure how much cost will be over the $$ you will get from selling it.