Getting 2nd B18B, what should I do to it?

g3teg97

Super Moderator
I say it depends on what you plan on doing with the car.

Boost will make it unreiable and so will N/A. If you plan on AutoX or road racing, N/A. Straight lines, drag racing = turbo.

Oh and it also depends on what your budget is and your power goals.

obd1kenobi

CI Transfomer God!
Auto X is my goal gains I'm looking @ 180-200hp at the wheels, and I know thats going to be alot of work for an NA LS!

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
200Whp out of an ls isn't that hard. There are tons of four bangers pushing out 200 na whp out there. I feel like alot of people think a honda motor without vtec has no potential without putting a turbo on it. Its a 1.8 liter block. Raise the compression bore it out if you want more torque. get some proper cams and a good port job and some itbs and 200na whp is easily attainable.

obd1kenobi

CI Transfomer God!
Aussie said:
200Whp out of an ls isn't that hard. There are tons of four bangers pushing out 200 na whp out there. I feel like alot of people think a honda motor without vtec has no potential without putting a turbo on it. Its a 1.8 liter block. Raise the compression bore it out if you want more torque. get some proper cams and a good port job and some itbs and 200na whp is easily attainable.
yeah dude there is nothing easy about that lol! Yeah I highs I've seen and L/S is like 179hp to that wheels fully built and streetable. I would be point less to put that much into that motor driving it around daily. I'd be fixing shit every other day!

g3teg97

Super Moderator
I'd give you more props for building a N/A with that power, rather than just slapping a turbo kit on it.

obd1kenobi

CI Transfomer God!
^^^ Yeah but N/A LS's arent cheap to build, there's no easy was around in with Ls/vtec which I will not do!

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Building a naturally aspirated 1.8l is just like building any N/A 1.8L whether it's a honda, nissan, toyota, mitsu or anything else, its a 1.8L. No there is no VTEC there but there hasn't always been vtec. I've built an old nissan sentra sr20 to put down 217whp 170wtq. completly streetable. Yes its a 2.0L so what, I'm just tryin to give an example. But 200whp would not be that hard to produce. All I'm saying is that with a proper tune and high compression, larger bore and proper cam sizing and timing 200 would not be a hard number to achieve. I'm hoping to get over 250whp out of my build with only 11.5:1 compression. Also if you've heard of endyn, (they build sick ass honda motors!) there's a guy with one of there 2.0 stroker honda blocks pushing out 300+whp on pump gas, no vtec, and it's an everyday driver. I'll try to post a link up.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
g3teg97 said:
I'd give you more props for building a N/A with that power, rather than just slapping a turbo kit on it.
I agree, much more props are given to high hp N/A apps, but they can be pricey. If you have the time go for N/A, but if you want big quick cheap hp numbers that a turbo is probablly the way to go.

obd1kenobi

CI Transfomer God!
Aussie said:
I've built an old nissan sentra sr20 to put down 217whp 170wtq. completly streetable. Yes its a 2.0L so what, I'm just tryin to give an example. But 200whp would not be that hard to produce.

I'm hoping to get over 250whp out of my build with only 11.5:1 compression.

Also if you've heard of endyn, (they build sick ass honda motors!) there's a guy with one of there 2.0 stroker honda blocks pushing out 300+whp on pump gas, no vtec, and it's an everyday driver. I'll try to post a link up.
Dude you cant compair the Sr20 to the L/s Motor, yes they are both four cylinder, but the Sr20 is a Performance more, and it does have Varible Valve Timing, so yeah getting 200 plus is not hard with a Sr20.

You got A GSR right, yeah getting 250 is isnt that hard but it isnt easy, Which is my point its not EASY to get 200 out of an L/S.

An that 300+ non vtec, yeah dude thats something I have got to see, I cant believe that they did that without Boost or Nitrous, and if they did what was the cost to do it, will I have access to the same resources they do.

Once again my Statment was "Its not easy to get 200 out an ls"

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
obd1kenobi said:
Dude you cant compair the Sr20 to the L/s Motor, yes they are both four cylinder, but the Sr20 is a Performance more, and it does have Varible Valve Timing, so yeah getting 200 plus is not hard with a Sr20.

You got A GSR right, yeah getting 250 is isnt that hard but it isnt easy, Which is my point its not EASY to get 200 out of an L/S.

An that 300+ non vtec, yeah dude thats something I have got to see, I cant believe that they did that without Boost or Nitrous, and if they did what was the cost to do it, will I have access to the same resources they do.

Once again my Statment was "Its not easy to get 200 out an ls"
Yea...right, the old sr20motors didn't have VVT and what the hell is a performance motor. A motor is a motor, any motor can be a performance motor, so a D series with 200 hp is a performance motor. No the 300+ motor I'm sure wasn't cheap and I'm sure you won't have the resources but you said that the most you've seen was like 180 out of a fully built motor and that is ridiculous.