Idling Problem

Undead4Life

1989 Integra
When my car is cold it idles at 2000 rpm. Once it gets warmed up it starts going from 500 to 1500 rpm. What would cause this to happen?

d0wnShiFt

What year? I have a 89 and mines doing the exact same thing and I cant figure it out, ive done everything possible that was online

Undead4Life

1989 Integra
Same year. I talked to a couple of my buddies. One has a Jeep and the other has a WRX and they both said either the fuel injectors or a vacume hose. Then I talked to one of my friends with a Del Sol and she said that her car was doing the same thing and she got it tuned up and replaced the PCV valve. Does ur check engine light come on too?

JGvtec

So when you cold start your car it sits at 2000. Then when its warmed up it like surges between 500 and 1500? Am i correct?

IACV or FITV.

d0wnShiFt

@Undead4Life, no I dont have any check engine lights, might be a common vacuum leak but I have not been able to find it....

@JGvtec, its not the FITV because the 86-89 integra didnt have 'em... as for me on the IACV thats not my problem either because I replaced it with a brand new one.....

d0wnShiFt

@Undead4Life, hey bro is your integra 88-89 or 86-87? If it 88-89 check your IACV its directly behind the intake manifold closest to the throttle body, theres 2, size 12 bolts, on each side, loosen them and take them off, take the 2 coolant lines off *its a tite fit*, remove the sensor plug in and clean the IACV out with air intake/throttle body cleaner. Re-install and tell me if that fixes your problem. As for when you start it cold and it revs at 2000rmp thats normal for the quick warm up process, then should drop between 1500-1800 then to around 1200 and when fully warmed up should be between 700-850. Also clean your PCV its real easy to take out and clean with the throttle body cleaner.

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
@Undead4Life, hey bro is your integra 88-89 or 86-87? If it 88-89 check your IACV its directly behind the intake manifold closest to the throttle body, theres 2, size 12 bolts, on each side, loosen them and take them off, take the 2 coolant lines off *its a tite fit*, remove the sensor plug in and clean the IACV out with air intake/throttle body cleaner. Re-install and tell me if that fixes your problem. As for when you start it cold and it revs at 2000rmp thats normal for the quick warm up process, then should drop between 1500-1800 then to around 1200 and when fully warmed up should be between 700-850. Also clean your PCV its real easy to take out and clean with the throttle body cleaner.
You can quote someone by clicking the thing that says 'quote' at the bottom of the post you're responding to :thumbs up

d0wnShiFt

You can quote someone by clicking the thing that says 'quote' at the bottom of the post you're responding to :thumbs up
lol ok, thanks bro.

Undead4Life, the PCV should be located on one of the runners going to the head on the intake manifold, its very simple, look at the intake manifold and you should see 4 runners... 1 of them has a black piece inside of it with a vacuum line going to the top of the intake manifold.

The IACV is a idle air control valve which has alot to do with your idling. I bet thats your problem, take it off (I explained how in my earlier reply) and clean it very well with throttle body/intake cleaner and re-install. Make sure you unplug your battery for atleast 10minutes after you have installed it so your ECU resets, hook the battery back up, start the car and let it warm up, do not have the heater or anything else on and dont touch the gas at all till its full warmed itself up. You should then be good to go.

Undead4Life

1989 Integra
Ok thanks. That is probably what it is. I just wasn't sure. Another question I hav is do u know if the fuel injectors from a 92 LS would fit on my 89 LS?

d0wnShiFt

I dont absolutely know for sure but I do know that the fuel rails are completely different so therefor the injectors are too. The d16a1 is a one of a kind motor, the only d series dohc. No parts from 1990+ integra/b series motor will work. The d16a1 had a stock 118hp.. if your looking for more horsepower id either exchange the d16a1 block with a zc and put your head on it. Get a different intake manifold/gsr throttle body, header (small custom fabrication), exhaust and intake. Or build the motor internally. But if you do the basics you should get anywhere from 130-145hp from 118 with exhaust, headers, intake, tb and intake manifold.

Undead4Life

1989 Integra
I have a bad fuel injector. That's the reason im asking. I have a 92 and I was just gonna take the parts off that one

d0wnShiFt

I have 2 injectors brand new ill sell for 20$ shipped. They retail for over 80$ a piece. We can make it secure too threw paypal. Anyways, I did some research and the 90+ integra injectors will not work, the housing for the injector is different and there bigger than stock da1 injectors.

d0wnShiFt

I meant 20$ a piece shipped lol. I payed 40$ for both and ended up never using them because I had no need for them. I bought them just to buy them for backups or to resell for more than what I paid for them but no one around here in washington has a da1 with a bad injector haha.