I know nothing and I have some cash

wite2nr

are you going to be doing the work yourself, or paying somebody else to do the work?

if you dont know that much about cars and are doing the work yourself, I would say intake/header.

if you are paying somebody else, tell us your budget and whether or not you want to stay N/A or go turbo, s/c.

DANISH DELUXE

well my budget right now is about $1000 and I would like to do the work myself to get to know my car, but if it's really hard to put in i know i mechanic that will put the part in without charging for work and i could watch him put it in.

heykosal

Angkorian
You need to decide where you want to go with your car, turbo/supercharger or naturally aspirated. For example, if you decide to go turbo, buying certain parts such as intake or headers will just be a waste of money..

wite2nr

you have 1000, personally i would put that towards suspension. but..

buy a K&N high flow air filter for your stock intake, and remove the resonator.
buy a quality brand header
cat back exhaust.

there goes $1000 if you are buying brand name items. you can install all of those in your driveway by yourself with a jack/jackstands and simple hand tools. dont be scared, buy a helms manual and get in there. search around some other threads for opinions on header / exhaust brands that you should go with. also you can check youtube for exhaust clips as well.

K&N filter - 50 / intake - $100 - $250
header - $250 +
exhaust - $500 +

these are all new brand name items if you dont mind used you can get it all for cheap

DANISH DELUXE

You need to decide where you want to go with your car, turbo/supercharger or naturally aspirated. For example, if you decide to go turbo, buying certain parts such as intake or headers will just be a waste of money..
Why does getting a turbo make an intake and header pointless?

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
the fact that a new guy is asking n00b questions doesn't bother me, as that is the way to learn. but when n00bs are providing even n00b3r answers makes this thread a recipe for epic fail.

Ominous is right, start with an Intake (SRI or CAI) *SRI=Short Ram Intake; CAI=Cold Air Intake; in case you didn't know)

either one will be fine. 90-93 Integra engine bays don't get THAAAT hot, so a SRI won't hurt anything. SRI's make more power on the top end anyway, whereas a CAI will make a bit more midrange power. you can't go wrong with either one, as they will both make your car sound meaner than it really is, lol.

bang for buck, NITROUS as others have mentioned. hands down, no question about it. a small jetting (25-75hp) will be FINE on your motor, depending on the condition of the motor. mileage, etc. will play a role in determining whether the motor should be put on nitrous. as long as the motor has been properly maintained and serviced as it should be, then a little laughing gas never hurt anyone. its the idiots out there running 150 shots and up that are blowing their motors.

its easy to set up an LS motor for nitrous, don't let the horror stories scare you about it. the ones blowing their motors are the ones that shouldn't have had nitrous to begin with.

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
Why does getting a turbo make an intake and header pointless?
a turbo setup completely eliminates any form of traditional intake system and the exhaust manifold (header)

a header is simply a replacement manifold with better flow characteristics to evacuate exhaust gases quicker and more efficiently to provide more power.

an "intake" will replace the stock rubber hose and airbox with an aluminum (or plastic) pipe with an open flowing cone air filter. (there are other kinds of intakes out there, but lets not get too technical just yet)

a turbo kit replaces the exhaust manifold with a turbo manifold. they essentially serve the same purpose, in that they both allow the exhaust gases a place to go. where the turbo manifold differs is that instead of just running the exhaust gases straight out of the exhaust system, the turbo manifold forces the gases to spin a turbine wheel (turbo) that spins a compressor ("cold side" of the turbo) which is used to draw in the air. INSTEAD of the intake manifold drawing the air in, it is now being FORCED into the motor, instead of being naturally drawn in by the traditional physics of the engine. read up on the Forced Induction guide on here as well as some other sites.

that is, if you want to learn more about turbos/superchargers. look up videos on youtube of how a turbocharger works, it will SHOW better than I could explain.

so since a regular air intake and traditional header (exhaust manifold) aren't needed in a turbo setup, THAT is why they would be considered a pointless, waste of money. since if you bought those parts initially, but then decided to go turbo, you'd have to take those parts off and replace them with the turbo parts. then you're stuck trying to sell used parts.

good luck, and by all means keep asking questions. it is the only way you're going to learn anything.

hmongkie

i just noticed that everyone is giving u tips, but does anyone know what you're driving?... i don't...

what're u driving, danish? motor, year, mileage, condition of motor?

DANISH DELUXE

i just noticed that everyone is giving u tips, but does anyone know what you're driving?... i don't...

what're u driving, danish? motor, year, mileage, condition of motor?
Oh true, my bad. I'm driving a DA9 with stock everything I'm pretty sure, maybe some refurbished stuff. i have 143k miles and a toyota computer in there cuz i haven't found the money for a normal one.

dc2b18

Wait... What?
everything hondagod said is true but it could also be learned by doing very little research... you need to make a complete plan for your car starting with how you want to make your power... f/i or n/a then go about pricing and other aspects of your build. Planning will prevent you from wasting money.

hmongkie

toyota say what?... nawww... something is def. wrong with that... ive got nothing against toyotas, but that just doesnt work out... pics dude.... u just lost me here...

DANISH DELUXE

i know its like some toyota car's computer or ecu whatever, it's on there right now just for my car to work so it makes some wierd noises, ill send pics if you tell me where to take em ^_^

DANISH DELUXE

the guy i bought the car from put it in i dont know what happened to the original and would be happy i you could direct me to a place to buy a normal ecu or whatever, could I get it from discount auto parts instead of the dealer??? you can talk to me on AIM if that's easier.