Battery draining

johnownsall2

Well i think i foudn the circuit that drains my battery how can i go about fixing it im pretty sure its the instrument lights circuit and it drained my battery within 5 minutes does that make sense? like i put the fuse in and then it just like kills the battery well not kill but enough so the car wont start so what can i do to fix that problem..

Spody02

Name: Cody
try and pull the fuse out for panel and then see if your battery dies...
and do you have an after things taking power... like an amp, alram
maybe you hooked it up wrong

but my guess is your battery has some dead cells

johnownsall2

Well it took out a couple fuses and now when i start it it starts up fine but i left the radio on with out the car runnin and then it just doesnt turn on and then i have to jump it but if i leave it off for two days and just start it right up it will start? can that be a bad battery? i brung it in they said it was good.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
I'm still confused....

Answer these questions, just yes and no. lol

1. The car doesn't start when you leave the radio on without the engine?

2. The car starts fine when you leave lights and accessories off when you turn the car off?

3. The car doesn't start when you leave the lights on for a couple minutes without the engine running?

4. The car doesn't start when you leave the radio on, but if you let it sit the car does start?

johnownsall2

lol ok
1.Yea i left the radio on without the car runnning and i come back like 20 seconds later and the battery does not have enough power to start.
2.If i leave everything off and lets say ok i turned off my car its all off everything then i come back it will start but i cant sit there and like listen to the radio or anything just got to strart it right up.
3.I didnt try that i should because maybe the rado wast put in right.
4.I dont get what yu mean but if i start the car hen i can listte to it because then it wont kill the battery because the alternator is charging it.

tisguy

check the voltages of the battery, kutch is probably right.

1) Measure voltage of battery with car off, write it down.
2) Measure few hours later, write it down.
3) Turn on radio with engine off for 10-15mins, measure voltage.

If your voltage is dipping under 12, you have a weak battery. I learned the hard way that only 11.8V is needed to get the car to crank, although slow.. but it turns over.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Check your battery first. You can just take it to the autoparts store and they will test it for free. They will also charge them for free if your battery just needs a deep charge.

If you really think you have a short or battery drain, then hear is a way to find out what it is. It is a pain in the ass, but it will tell you exactly what is draining your battery.

http://www.clubintegra.com/board/showpost.php?p=255476&postcount=45

johnownsall2

Alright well i have to purchase a test light. Im trying to think though if its the alternator or not. I already brought the battery to sears autoparts and they tested it andthey charged it for 30 min and said it was good.. i dont know what is going on anymore i really dont how can i test the alternator and is it easy to put it in yourself?? or how much would it cost to be put in or does it depend on the mechanic?? all i know is i went out this morning and it started but it was like dieng because it took a little while to start so i turned it off then turned it bac on couple seconds later and wouldnt start so thats why im staring to think it might be the alternator and its not charging it but then again can t be the battery because a while ago when the alarm wa still installed and it killed the starter i ran a wire from the starter to the battery couple times and idk if that can do somethin to the battery it spaked and stuff but it still started.. please help

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
The alternator is kind of a pain to change in the Integra. But I wouldn't pay someone to do it. They usually charge entirely too much for that considering how straight forward it is.

As for finding out if the alternator is bad, get a voltmeter and test the voltage coming back to the battery. It should show 12 volts with the car off. Around 13.5v with the car running. If it is showing too low, then the alternator isn't charging. If it's showing something like 17 volts, then the voltage regulator is out and the overcharging is just abusing your battery. Either way, it will require a new alternator since the voltage regulator is built in to the alternator.

If the battery has been tested good and the alternator proves to be charging 13.5v or so running then it is probably your starter or starter relay. I would assume you've ruled that out by realizing the car has power but just won't turn over right?

genesis

tougê hêrmit
i just had the same problem and i had to fix it, i ended up putting a new alternator and battery but it never fixed the problem. what it was is a fuse called (alternator sp sensor) its prone to blowing whenever you disconnect the battery...

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
i just had the same problem and i had to fix it, i ended up putting a new alternator and battery but it never fixed the problem. what it was is a fuse called (alternator sp sensor) its prone to blowing whenever you disconnect the battery...
So you just paid like $700 to have someone replace a part that wasn't even messed up? OUCH

That fuse does pop easily but when I popped it on my car after replacing an alternator it would start at all so it seemed like a dead give away for me.

Last edited:

dc2b18

Wait... What?
there is no need to go get a meter and all that shit... just take your battery and have it tested... then go from there

genesis

tougê hêrmit
So you just paid like $700 to have someone replace a part that wasn't even messed up? OUCH

That fuse does pop easily but when I popped it on my car after replacing an alternator it would start at all so it seemed like a dead give away for me.
actually i ended up not going to the dealer i just bought the parts for 230 and just did it my self because i was soo pissed...and yes im glade i did