Gas Prices Update

g3teg97

Super Moderator
Does it even do anything with a VTEC motor? (Sorry don't have VTEC).

I know when I put it in my LS, it did absolutely nothing. LOL

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Does it even do anything with a VTEC motor? (Sorry don't have VTEC).

I know when I put it in my LS, it did absolutely nothing. LOL
I didn't do anything because your motor isn't tuned correctly to run 100. Your fuel system needs to be tuned properly to take in 100.

g3teg97

Super Moderator
I figured it had to do something with that.

I've heard some people say it runs faster/better/whatever with race fuel on 100 octane, but I just always thought it was a waste unless your boosted.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
boosted or cammed out will run well on 91 octane (premium) if you have an origional JDM motor they run on 100 octane. thats why they come here detuned.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
FYI, Europe and Japan use only the RON octane measurement which shows higher octane. Their gas may say 97 or 98 octane at the pump but it is about the equivilant of 94 or so here with our (RON+MON)/2 method. Their gas isn't as big of a difference as the numbers imply.

I figured it had to do something with that.

I've heard some people say it runs faster/better/whatever with race fuel on 100 octane, but I just always thought it was a waste unless your boosted.
It is unless you are tuned to take advantage of it. Boosted cars can take advantage of it a little easier fot the simple fact that it raises the knock threshold and will allow you to run more boost. I just have 3 maps saved. Low boost (18-20psi) 93-94 octane, high boost 94 octane (24psi) and higher boost 100 octane (28psi)

Last edited:

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
87 is down to $3.89 now, and that's even for Shell, which means it'll be less than that at Hess very soon.
Shell 93 = $4.09.
I head a guy call into a radio station today and say he found gas for $3.82 in Mass. Dunno what octane (probably 86 or 87) or if it was brand name or generic, but it's another good sign.
A barrel of oil has dropped $20-$25 since it's peak price 6 weeks ago, and I heard today gas is expected to be 25 cents/gal less than it is now by Labor Day. I'd think it oughta be less than that by then, dang it:(!

Trishamayx3

Pink Pants Model
93 here is 4.17 :) just heard on the news a gas station in baltimore is selling regular (didnt say which octane) for 3.68, or around there. thats the lowest i've seen in a long time!