Good RPMs?

Bowtie

O > | | |
Hello again everybody!
I was wondering what RPMs it is ok to cruise at and what rpms are a little too high to maintaing for long periods of time. I'm on the interstate 2 to 3 days a week, for a little over an hour at the time, and i've noticed that at about 3k rpms I can do 70, but if I want to take it up to 80 it's just about 3500.

I've only ever driven V8s before, and in those RPMS that high weren't good for the engine to be maintaining like that. So, my question is, what RPMs are ok for the motor to cruise on?

Winki

Undercover mod
Daym that is high. So you're basically in VTEC everytime you drive on the freeway. Aite Karl, I'll remember your name from now on.
my vtec is at 5800:lol: but yeah its high(buddy club spec II) and can be annoying so i cruise at 65 alot and its not so bad. and appriciate how quiet the DD is lol

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
what rpms do you guys shitf at in the city for the best gas mileage????

Bowtie

O > | | |
Wow, so the 3000 - 3500 range won't cause the engine to wear out or anything? I guess i'm just used to having an RPM level where "more isn't healthy for the engine" being relatively low.

Winki

Undercover mod
Wow, so the 3000 - 3500 range won't cause the engine to wear out or anything? I guess i'm just used to having an RPM level where "more isn't healthy for the engine" being relatively low.
you fine, smaller engines rev higher:D

heykosal

Angkorian
I'm with Karl, I usually shift low sometimes under 2k as long as I know it won't bog. I sometimes even skip gears 1-3-5 but you just gotta rev it higher before you shift. That's how you save gas.

But shit I hate not having a 6th gear at 80mph its at about 4k just a quick stab of the throttle away from vtec. I hate it because sometimes the traffic around here cruises at like 90mph and then i'm either in vtec or not going fast enough its such a blower!