Grind at High RPM

RG400SmartTowel

second gear is hard to get into. if i do high rpm shift from first to second, it doesn't allow me to go into second gear and if i force it in I will get a grind. also down shifting into second gear gives me this crrrrk. second gear is the only gear that i have problems with. what is wrong?

EvoEnvy

yeah sounds like syncros are shot

check out your shift linkage make sure thats still there too :D

jdmseng

I <3 B18c1's and c5's.
its your syncros, that happened to me, the exact same thing... mine cost about 100 to fix i didnt kno to fix it so i went to local shop and they fixed it. it was the teeth to the 3rd gear there was nothing there.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Stripped gears or missing gear teeth won't cause it to grind. They would just slip or break. The have nothing to do with the way a tranny engages a gear. There a bunch of little teeth on the synchro's that engage into the side of a gear that is fixed to the output shaft that engages it.

Try changing your tranny fluid to GM Synchromesh Friction Modified. That will help

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
it might already be too late tho... I say try it, but if i t doesn't fix it, get a tranny shop to look at it.

The longer you go grinding like that, the more metal shavings will be in your tranny fluid, and the more fucked up your trans will get.

DON'T try to force it in at high rpms. that's bad.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
it might already be too late tho... I say try it, but if i t doesn't fix it, get a tranny shop to look at it.

The longer you go grinding like that, the more metal shavings will be in your tranny fluid, and the more fucked up your trans will get.

DON'T try to force it in at high rpms. that's bad.
I would start by trying the GM fluid and a magnetic drain plug before spending all kinds of money at a tranny shop or something though

heykosal

Angkorian
I am told that "synchromesh friction modified" is the same stuff no matter who you buy from..GM, BG, Penzoil. I heard its all the same, is this true?

EDIT: and do you use 100% friction modified? or add it to Honda TF?

Last edited:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
I use 100% GMSFM. The Pennzoil is the GM replacement but it is not the same. The GMSFM has different additives. The Pennzoil does not have the friction modifier additives.

The funny thing is, a lot of Honda Dealerships (and others) use the GMSFM if the tranny starts feeling notchy or grinding. I know the Honda dealership by my house has cases of GM fluid sitting in their shop...Lol

96acdb8

i had the same problem when i bout my car...my problem was the spring in the clutch had popped out * previos did it* and they were gettin hung up...hard to explain. replace clutch