Power Gain Through Intake/Exhaust

blackmamba

Hey fellas.

I have an 94 LS and basically, what I want is for it to be a bit stronger. I'm not into racing nor am I a hard driver. The reason I'm making this post is that every time I turn on the A/C, obviously, the engine has to work harder. But its getting to the point where my acceleration is very weak when I have the A/C on. Without A/C, the acceleration is fine. But with A/C, it forces me to push the petal further but yet, it fails to accelerate to how I want it. So with that being said, what are my options for a decent power gain? Again, I'm not looking to race anybody so no turbo, supercharger or anything like that. :D

Will a new intake/exhaust/catback do the trick? If so, then what are my options for a decent power gain? Whats the least amount I can spend for the highest output I can get?

Also, I'm not really interested in having a loud growling exhaust. I'm not looking to attract any attention either.

2_Liter_Turbo

I'd go with the Apexi WS2 Exhaust for a clean look and sound. It'll give you a bit more HP, without the raspy note. That's the one I'm going with. As far as header and intake, the intake I'd go with (they are cheap anyways), but the header will add more noise to the exhaust, so only do one at a time! lol. That's my take on it :)

blackmamba

When you say a bit more HP gain? How much exactly?

As for headers, I'm not looking to switch out headers...

2_Liter_Turbo

When you say a bit more HP gain? How much exactly?

As for headers, I'm not looking to switch out headers...
I'm assuming 5-7 hp more or so. Not a lot, but it'll help! Add on an intake and get another 3 or so hp, and you should theoretically have over 10hp gain :)

heykosal

Angkorian
my gs-r has intake/exhaust and with the a/c on full blast it still feels like im towing a boat. i know what youre talking about. unfortunately, with the mods, it still feels that way.

JimmyRos.

07 BMW 328Xi
^ unfortunately he's telling the truth.

there's not gonna be a real difference in power with just an intake and exhaust. less restriction, but without a header or high flow cat, the exhaust system is not producing at its full potential. the more air being moved from the engine through a non-distruptive flow the more you should feel. not much but it helps a bit.

ntensedc4

i have a 94 ls with intake and a axle back replica of a tanabe racing medallion it has a deep tone too it..but it does attract alot of attention..but if your looking for more if a stock look you can try apexi worldsport exhaust or a rsr ex-mag. mine with just intake and axle back it gets pretty good accelation even with the ac on

K. Legaspi

You Buggin' Out
I never had A/C but if the I/H/E/HC doesn't do anything and you don't want to do FI, Put some Crower Valvetrain in there and Some Crower 403's with a good tune. It should help you a bit if you don't wanna boost your car. lol

b16adx

Black ops beast
blackmamba ur car might just be in the need of a tune up.you know,oil change, air filter,spark plugs.plug wires, dizzy cap & rotor.i just feel ur car shouldnt feel like its loses power with the a/c on.imo i would go with this route first, before u go spend ur money on something u dont need and still have ur problem.

ltrain

sounds like he wants low end/mid power considering he dont race/drive fast...apexi WS or greddy sp2 would be perfect for him with a K&N filter (with removal of intake resonator) would be fine... and a 4-2-1 header will also help the low/mid range also

Last edited:

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
if your looking for more if a stock look you can try apexi worldsport exhaust or a rsr ex-mag.
Apexi WS

^^^Stock looking exhaust?

If you want a nice low end/midrange increase out of a intake and exhaust setup, I recommend a cold air intake and a 2.25 inch exhaust. The Apexi WS is nice and quiet but it's a 2.36 inch exhaust.

blackmamba

blackmamba ur car might just be in the need of a tune up.you know,oil change, air filter,spark plugs.plug wires, dizzy cap & rotor.i just feel ur car shouldnt feel like its loses power with the a/c on.imo i would go with this route first, before u go spend ur money on something u dont need and still have ur problem.
Yeah man.
Oil change, check.
Air filter, just got a replaced one no more then a month and a half ago.
Spark plugs are pretty new. Changed it less then a year ago.
My cap and rotor are pretty much fine too.

The Apexi WS looks pretty good. I might consider that one.

sounds like he wants low end/mid power considering he dont race/drive fast...apexi WS or greddy sp2 would be perfect for him with a K&N filter (with removal of intake resonator) would be fine... and a 4-2-1 header will also help the low/mid range also
About the intake, how does an apexi power intake compare to the K&N?

Changing the headers is something I might also do.

Overall the most gainage I can get, is it still 10 or so HP like 2LiterTurbo said? I know its not going to be anything drastic.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
If you want a power bump screw spending a grand on an intake and exhaust. In my opinion, buy a set of crower stage 1 cams and throw them in and call it a day, you can always add and intake and exhaust later and you'll see a better result in horsepower.

Last edited:

heykosal

Angkorian
^^there you go. another thing to consider may be lightweight/underdriven pulleys.

and of course its "supposed" to feel like you lose power when the a/c is on. im not gonna explain why.