LS Auto Turbo

mteg

Automatic Lover
oh okay using juice. how much you htiing with no spray ? and if you have a an 01 what are you tuning with ? isnt obd2 harder to tune ?
Baiscally adjusting the fuel pressure, the timing, and putting the right jet combo's. I did a 75hp upgrade from the 50 that I had, but it's not really a 75.The car was running rich-esppecially at 6,800 rpm. We played around with the jet sizes. I'm using the 41 n2o jet and the 20 fuel jet (that I had with the 50 shot). This gave me a nice 12.63 a/f ratio. This would equal out to a 70-75 shot. We never did a baseline pull since The appointment was for my buddies car and time was limited. Basically I got 3 pulls, and shop tuner lucked out by picking the perfect jet combination. If I had to guess, baseline whp would be around 120. As for holding up, an auto tranny will go to 250 hp (well maintained bieng the key) thien will start breaking down. I your making roughly 140-150 hp right now, you would be safe going with a turbo that doesn't add more than 90-100 hp. Basically when you get over 200whp-thats when you should start worrying.

Last edited:

DC2Integ

I ♥ My Integra
Yes but you can't compare a honda tranny to a drag cars tranny. An auto will hold up to a certain point if taken care of and treated properly. Like Mteg said, no neutral droping and no sport-shifting, you should not downshift your auto, it will severly decrease it's life, the tranny is made to downshift on it's own and you will screw up the valves in there if you try to do it yourself. As for being strong, they're not, they're actually very weak, as i've stated before many times, honda trannys are weak like most import automatic trannys, they are not made for large power, they are made small and light, the plates and gears are thin and weak, not like domestic autos which are big and bulky and they have room to beef them up, they use heavier stronger materials, but they were also made to handle larger engines, V8's with more than 300hp. Your talking about a tranny that was made to handle 100hp maybe a little more but you get the idea, so yes the limit is small when your doing upgrades. I've seen them last to 200hp, but like Mteg said, you have to take care of them, a tranny cooler, upgraded torque converter, keeping the fluid clean, and making sure you run good fluid, preferably Honda ATF. They won't hold that much power tho, I won't put a max limit on them but I would imagine that 250 is pushing it and after that your going to be looking at rebuilds much sooner than usual.
I agree with everything you say but if auto trannys arent meant to be downshifted then why do they give you the option too ? or like when your going up a big hill ? you have to go into 1st or 2nd. I know the neutral drop thing is true because when i used to have my auo teg i neeutral dropped it all the time and in a year the tranny was done.

mteg

Automatic Lover
Auto manufacturers give you the option so that you can limit what gear your'e in. For example, in the winter, dropping the car into 1st or 2nd can help you gain traction in the snow. When youre in 4th gear going 60, and you drop it into 3rd or even 2nd, your just asking for trouble. Neutral drops are just foolish. It would be like dropping you're clutch at 7,000 rpm-once might not kill it but twice probably will. Manually shiftting an auto's seems like fun but it really doesn't gain you anything. The car knows when to shift. If your'e making enough power-the car should go to readline. Most people I know that manually shift drp from 4th to 3rd so it downshifts faster. the problem with this is sometimes the car downshifts agian to 2nd. Your'e best just leaving the car in 4th-or 3rd when crusing stoplight to stoplight-and avoid shifting gears.

Messiah62

no one ever helps me lol! have the people say its horrible and dmb and the rest say itll work out good...

mteg

Automatic Lover
Don't listen to what anyone says about it bieng an auto. If it's a greddy kit, you should be fine. For starters, get your tranny fluid changed before putting the turbo in. I'm not sure what your friend is using for tuning, but you might want to investigate into getting a stand alone. You're not going to find much support for driving an automatic, thats why you have to prove them wrong. I catch hell all the time. It wasn't till I crushed my buddies built gsr that I got some respect. Now I have to deal with all these cavi ss's talking shit about the automatic. It is what it is. You're definatly going to have to work harder building a turbo automatic, but it can be done. I'll keep my eyes open for you as far as tuned automatics.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I just installed a greddy kit on a 99 civic ex auto and it drove perfect, a noticable increase in power and even with the stock tranny had no problem slipping. The problem your going to have with the autos, like I said before is if you can't just leave the damn thing in drive like your supposed to.

Last edited:

Messiah62

you might have worded that wrong not sure, your saying leave it and drive and let it do its thing. Which is what i do i never change gears at all unless im going up a huge hill which i wouldnt have to do if i had a turbo. Also if i got a turbo would i have to take my AC out?

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Yea just leave the transmission in drive and let it do its thing, if it needs to downshift it will, now i mean if your going up a big hill and it keeps downshifting and upshifting then by all means put it in third. What I mean is no power shifting, if you know what I mean. And with most good quality kits and using a log style manifold you shouldn't have any problem keeping your ac.