LS Auto Turbo

Messiah62

ok i have done some searching but i want a fresh post so its more organized towards my questions. I found a t3 Garrett turbo used for 140$, i would then only need the intercooler, manifold shit etc... this is pretty good price. Would this be decent for my transmission, like its not gonna blow after a week is it? I dont really floor it alot but when i have to race someone its always nice to win. anyways, im not planning on running to much psi either. just to get me to like around 200hp would be good.

thanks no flamming please

jani

believe it or not but auto turbos pretty fast, i had auto single cam civic on 12 pounds for about 2 years, the tranny never wanted to take a shit on me so..i ran a 14.3 with it, pretty decent time for a 1.5 on 12 pounds, but yea go for it man, youll love it

jani

yea i forgot about that, dont buy used turbo the oil seals can be blown and they prolly are for so cheap if its a real garett.

Blackassassin

LS=Likely Slow
Was actually thinking about doing an Auto LS turbo as well but got money issues so i don't know when it will happen

mattrt09

i think it will be fast dude

its suprising how much people underestimate auto's . its like once they see the shifter they think you car is a kia all of a sudden

cant count how many people i beat that thought they would slaughter me because i had an auto.

DC2Integ

I ♥ My Integra
theres different circumsatnces some times the tranny goes in the shitter sometimes they dont i think it depends how much you get on it really.

mteg

Automatic Lover
I would be more worried about the turbo being bad than your tranny holding up. Used turbo's that are cheap are usually that way for a reason. Are you shooting for 200 hp crank or wheel? Theres really no reason to sport shift-that wrecks havoc on your tranny. Neutral drops will kill it. Don't worry about the stress. There are several things you can do to prolong your tranny. If you havn't changed your fluid, do it now. You might want to think about adding a tranny cooler. You can pick one up at Farm and Fleet for around $30-worth every penny. Hit up Level 10 for a new torque converter. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't build an auto-let alone a boosted one. I hit 192whp and 167 ft lbs tq this morning on the dyno-tranny is still going strong.

DC2Integ

I ♥ My Integra
I would be more worried about the turbo being bad than your tranny holding up. Used turbo's that are cheap are usually that way for a reason. Are you shooting for 200 hp crank or wheel? Theres really no reason to sport shift-that wrecks havoc on your tranny. Neutral drops will kill it. Don't worry about the stress. There are several things you can do to prolong your tranny. If you havn't changed your fluid, do it now. You might want to think about adding a tranny cooler. You can pick one up at Farm and Fleet for around $30-worth every penny. Hit up Level 10 for a new torque converter. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't build an auto-let alone a boosted one. I hit 192whp and 167 ft lbs tq this morning on the dyno-tranny is still going strong.
not calling bull on you or anything but 192HP on an auto all motor ? WTF ? i need to see some slips sorry.

mteg

Automatic Lover
Not all motor-sprayed. I'll post pics on Monday when I get to work-I have to scan the sheet. My buddys RSX hit 271-jrsc with a 10 lbs pulley. He's going for 300 in a couple weeks. I'm happy with the results-I would like to hit 200 though. Maybe up the jet size a little bit, but then I have to retune the car again.

DC2Integ

I ♥ My Integra
oh okay using juice. how much you htiing with no spray ? and if you have a an 01 what are you tuning with ? isnt obd2 harder to tune ?

hksb18

GM TECH
alot of drag cars are auto the tranny will hold up as long as the regular shit is done to maintain it..def no neutral drops tho!! will tear the soft metal pieces to shreds

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Yes but you can't compare a honda tranny to a drag cars tranny. An auto will hold up to a certain point if taken care of and treated properly. Like Mteg said, no neutral droping and no sport-shifting, you should not downshift your auto, it will severly decrease it's life, the tranny is made to downshift on it's own and you will screw up the valves in there if you try to do it yourself. As for being strong, they're not, they're actually very weak, as i've stated before many times, honda trannys are weak like most import automatic trannys, they are not made for large power, they are made small and light, the plates and gears are thin and weak, not like domestic autos which are big and bulky and they have room to beef them up, they use heavier stronger materials, but they were also made to handle larger engines, V8's with more than 300hp. Your talking about a tranny that was made to handle 100hp maybe a little more but you get the idea, so yes the limit is small when your doing upgrades. I've seen them last to 200hp, but like Mteg said, you have to take care of them, a tranny cooler, upgraded torque converter, keeping the fluid clean, and making sure you run good fluid, preferably Honda ATF. They won't hold that much power tho, I won't put a max limit on them but I would imagine that 250 is pushing it and after that your going to be looking at rebuilds much sooner than usual.