whats a good intake for a LS block

97gsrjames

dc2GS-R said:
hmmm. i got a con for the CAI.

CAI + Rain = Blown engine
no!! Stupid Ass + Huge Puddle = Hydrolock. Your motor will only "blow" if one whole cylinder is FILLED with water. Thats a common misunderstanding. You cant get hydrolock by simply getting a little water inside your engine (i.e. CAI in the rain) and some CAI come with a bypass valve so this is not a concern. You can run a CAI and drive in the rain all day without it hurting your car, just dont go running into huge puddles.

My personal suggestion for an LS is a SRI. Reason being is an LS is a little more torquey then a GSR, and it will offer you better power in the high RPM range. IMO

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
I love my SRI, Injens are a good buy. Even ebay intakes arent bad if you buy a better filter.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
97gsrjames said:
no!! Stupid Ass + Huge Puddle = Hydrolock. Your motor will only "blow" if one whole cylinder is FILLED with water. Thats a common misunderstanding. You cant get hydrolock by simply getting a little water inside your engine
take a 1600cc B16 4 cylinder for example. each cylinder is 400cc. what happens if 100cc of water gets into one cylinder. that cylinder gets reduced in size by 1/4. water doesn't compress so if too much water gets in there then something will give. whether its a rod, a head gasket or something. WATER DOESN'T COMPRESS! its a fact of physics! 100c isn't a whole lot of water

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
My SRI sounds good as shit, i like seeing my filter. I never have to worry about puddles, there are some big ones here. I would rock the SRI. Plus its easy to make a SRI into a CAI

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
dc2GS-R said:
take a 1600cc B16 4 cylinder for example. each cylinder is 400cc. what happens if 100cc of water gets into one cylinder. that cylinder gets reduced in size by 1/4. water doesn't compress so if too much water gets in there then something will give. whether its a rod, a head gasket or something. WATER DOESN'T COMPRESS! its a fact of physics! 100c isn't a whole lot of water
I was waiting for you to give him a spanking for that erroneous statement. 8)

97gsrjames

TegSox said:
I was waiting for you to give him a spanking for that erroneous statement. 8)
haha priceless.

as far as a short ram inake goes... it doesnt really matter... however if you wanna be pimp, i suggest the jays racing CF intake. that ting is HOTTTT. I think password makes one too. also the comptech icebox is very nice.

if you're gonna go shortram, dont waste cash on something like AEM or Injen. just get an ebay tube and a decent filter.

ltrain

faylo604 said:
how come people just not buy a bypass valve... common a car is your investment!!
they block air flow loses like 2 hp , if u get a ebay tube get a aem filter (no oiling easy to clean)

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Yeah, you don't want to skimp of the filter at all, K&N's are great filters.

I had an AEM CAI on my car for 3 years with no bypass valve, and no hydrolocking. So from my experience, the risk of hydrolocking a G3 Integra with a CAI is exaggerated. Just be sure you have all your undercar splashguards and that their properly attached, no missing screws or clips. Water would still splash on my filter, but never enough to get through it and sucked all the way up to the TB. I hit a few big puddles that scared the hell out of me too, but everything was fine. :what:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
when the radiator fans kick on, they blow really hot air directly on the air filter of an SRI on B series engines. i've seen a block off plate that seals with the hood cure a 8hp drop that occurred everytime the radiator fans kicked on while on the dyno on a 00 Civic Si. I made a sheet metal divider for my GSR and it worked well. i was supposed to show pics on how to make it because its very effective, but my GSR got totaled before i did it :(

steelies_ftw

97gsrjames said:
haha priceless.

as far as a short ram inake goes... it doesnt really matter... however if you wanna be pimp, i suggest the jays racing CF intake. that ting is HOTTTT. I think password makes one too. also the comptech icebox is very nice.

if you're gonna go shortram, dont waste cash on something like AEM or Injen. just get an ebay tube and a decent filter.

well or if ur like some people and attract cops like no other and get pulled over and they say, pop ur mother effin hood son, then u might wanna have all ur shit stamped with carb exempt, just so u wont have to deal with that, AEM says it on there so no worrys, but hes right ebay is magical, like a dream 8)