What to do with my 1990 ls

bigbuddah

i think what you have is good so far. you covered the main components of bolt on upgrades. intake/headers/exhaust.

the only thing you could do is maybe upgrade to better headers or if you exhaust isnt already mandrel bent then try that.

also with the crowers... 403s are the same price as 402s. unless you get them secondhand where 402s arent really worth as much as 403s. i was debating whether or not to get the 403s or the 402s because of the valvetrain upgrade... also because i was just going to swap in something else later on, i just didnt know what... so im in the same boat as you... but wanted a nice daily driver for the time being.

so its really up to you if you want to spend the extra cash on valvetrain upgrades.
---------------------------------
is there a way you can send me a link for the 402s and 403s i got no clue where to look and mandrell bent? sry i guess i don't know that much bout this lol
so....is my exhaust fine? since uh i have no back pressure or non that i know about its a straight exhaust i'm lost haha

tilegend

http://crower.com/cat/import/honda/cams/b18ab.shtml

thats the link for the 402s and 403s

mandrel bent piping is smooth and the diameter of the piping is the same throughout the whole system.

this is an example of crush bent and crinkle

as you can see that would hurt exhaust flow.

and your exhaust diameter is fine even if you decide to get upgraded cams.

bigbuddah

hmm i might buy the 403s lol and i was looking at the other internals i might go with that site
hmm okaii this is my plans so far
first
take a/c and p/s out
buy i/m
the install it
buy 403s
then install it with the cam gears i have then i'm blank lol
any one have a step by step what i should do i kinda wanna go n/a
but all the power i want its gonna have to go turbo but for now i want to go n/a

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
if your thinking of goin all motor non vtec...jump on nonvtec.com when u get a chance...im gonna be doin that to be different and be a sleeper lol...gs-r killa here i come lol

tilegend

hmm i might buy the 403s lol and i was looking at the other internals i might go with that site
hmm okaii this is my plans so far
first
take a/c and p/s out
buy i/m
the install it
buy 403s
then install it with the cam gears i have then i'm blank lol
any one have a step by step what i should do i kinda wanna go n/a
but all the power i want its gonna have to go turbo but for now i want to go n/a
theres nothing more disappointing when something wrong goes with your motor and you don't have a backup...
my suggestion to you is build your LS all motor for now. I/H/E w/ cams and intake manifold should be quite good. and then if you do want to step into forced induction... build a motor on the side.

that would be the easiest... since you already have an LS motor you dont have to go searching for another motor swap... nor do you have to put x amount of time swapping it in either... its already there and good to go... so just throw some cams on their for now. have a nice little daily driver and thats it...

if you want something different like i said you can build something on the side so theres no downtime.

also with your setup... i would do the valvetrain (cams & springs) before the intake manifold.

and depending on which way you or your mechanic will install the cams and springs/ret... you/your mechanic might end up taking off the head anyways... even though you can do it without.

another thing that you could do after that it shave and balance your crank pulley... since you're running no a/c or p/s you can lighten the stock one by just shaving it and balancing it.

theres a guy over at h-t that does it for a small fee... or you can go to any reputable machine shop.

also clutch and flywheel would definitely be a nice upgrade.

bigbuddah

yeah i might do the motor on side thing
but i have a weird question it might be dumb but i was wondering about cold air intake
my friends drives a srt-4 and i felt his cold it it was cold as it suppose to be but mine its hot all the way from the i/m to the filiter can someone help me with that like if its good or a bad thing?

tilegend

turbo with intercooler. it cools the intake charge

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
is your a short ram or a full cold air...cuz i have a full cold air and by the filer till up about half way on the piping it is a lil chilly...but after that it gets warm

bigbuddah

is your a short ram or a full cold air...cuz i have a full cold air and by the filer till up about half way on the piping it is a lil chilly...but after that it gets warm
mines just hot all the way its a cold air or i'm hoping lol i mean it touching the ground basicly lol
anyone know any sites i can get good price parts?

tilegend

http://sctuned.com/
http://thmotorsports.com/
http://budgetraceparts.com/
http://www.yoparts.com/

some of the lowest prices i've seen... they all use the same system but some have lower prices on some stuff but might be more expensive on other stuff.

you can also check ebay. (for legit stuff)
or you can browse honda-tech.com for either used stuff or their sponsors section or new stuff w/ good deals

and even on this forum for some deals...

on the main page you'll see "visit our sponsors:" and "latest sponsor specials"

if you're ordering from a company you're not sure of just google it and see peoples experiences.

stay away from jdmcarboy.com at all costs :-D

bigbuddah

i was looking at the site u gave me tilegend awsome haha
but umm i was talking to my neighbor he said don't get the cam shaft and the valves spring unless u do everything cuz he said he might screw my valves is this true because i wanted to install the camshafts and springs and cam gear at the same time thats all i was planning to buy for now

tilegend

what your neighbor is referring to is inadequate valve spring seat pressure, where the valve on its return to the cylinder head bounces off the seat where over time it will deform the valves.

that shouldn't be the case at all especially if you get matching valve springs that go with the cams.

bigbuddah

oh u know what i think i failed to mentions the springs haha i don't remember other then that i guess i'll buy it but i was wanting to buy this b18a/type r head motor for 1200 u think thats a steal?