What should my next mod be....

JDMmikE

Like it says above.... I have a completely stock 99 GSR, except for the Injen CAI. I was planning on either buying some dc sports 4-1 headers and a test pipe or just the apexi n1 full catback this weekend. Idk which one will benefit the car more...

Also If I run the test pipe do I keep the o2? Or just completely remove it? Will this cause any problems besides the CEL?

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
How far are you going to go with your mods?
What area of the rpm range do you want to build power in?
Answering these will help determine what you should get next, so that when you are done modding, everything will work together properly and you won't have spent money on improperly sized parts that work against each other. You want every part in the system working towards making power in the same area of the rpm range, this area would be known as your "powerband".

Please don't say your gonna boost in the future unless you mean it. If your gonna boost in the future, than it doesn't matter what you get now because no matter what you get you'll be getting rid of it if you boost.
NA parts and boost parts are opposite 99% of the time.

JDMmikE

I want to build the higher rpm range around the vtec.... Honestly I don't really see myself getting too involved in this car just the I/h/c/e and the vafc2 and some suspension mods and eventually ill probly sell the car and buy an rsx-s

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Cool, then either of those parts would work fine towards your goal. I think you'd see more immediate gains by getting the header, but it'll be nothing like when you get the entire H/C/E system fully uncorked and all parts are working together. You'll be able to hear your VTEC open when you change the header too, and added bonus. :)

JDMmikE

TegSox said:
Cool, then either of those parts would work fine towards your goal. I think you'd see more immediate gains by getting the header, but it'll be nothing like when you get the entire H/C/E system fully uncorked and all parts are working together. You'll be able to hear your VTEC open when you change the header too, and added bonus. :)
So I guess I'll get the Headers and the Test pipe this week and get the exhaust next week... what about the O2? Will it hurt the performance to completely remove it?

Edit: what is the size of the Collector on the dc sports ss 4-1 headers? I know the apexi n1 is 2.36". I want to have a test pipe made to match the headers and the exhaust perfectly....

Last edited:

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
I don't know anything about having to bypass O2 sensors, my cars OBD1, only one O2 sensor and it's before the cat :)
But why don't you just get a high flow cat instead of a test pipe? A test pipe will make your exhaust smell like holy hell, you won't pass inspection, and it doesn't give you any more power than a hig flow cat will. A big chunk of the money you'll save by getting a test pipe instead of a cat will go towards bypassing the O2 anyway, so why not do the responsible thing right off? JMO

Winki

Undercover mod
Personally since you have a stock gsr the first thing i would do is something about thet Intake mani

Charged

i would probably pick and exhaust first then get the headers later.. but thats only if it was my GSR :p

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Bigblock-B said:
Personally since you have a stock gsr the first thing i would do is something about thet Intake mani
He said he only wants to do I/H/C/E and a V-AFC. Getting an aftermarket IM for a car with only bolt-on's is a bad move, anyway.

obd1kenobi

CI Transfomer God!
Hows your Suspenions? If your cars not lowered then thats what I would do! But if not then the Exhuast would be next for me!

JDMmikE

obd1kenobi said:
Hows your Suspenions? If your cars not lowered then thats what I would do! But if not then the Exhuast would be next for me!
Its got Tein Basics Already, what I do need is a camber adjustment really bad!! Cause the inside of my tires is all worn out but the outside is all new lol weird! It really doesn’t matter to me what I get first because I’ll eventually get it all anyways. But like I said earlier I'm not sure if I’m going to keep this car... I might keep it I might not it all depends on how much insurance is on 2 cars. I want the rsx-s really bad but I wanted a GSR since high school idk it just depends...

But for now I just want to do the I/h/c/e thing and get that out of the way so if I keep the car I can go from there. If I keep this car I’m NOT going to boost it! Idk I just don't think turbos and Hondas are a good thing but JMO

Last edited:

obd1kenobi

CI Transfomer God!
JDMmikE said:
Just My opinion! I rather hear the screaming of an all motor NA engine than Turbo.... It just sounds better IMO
I just dont like turboing cars that dont come turbo, too much headache and problems

JDMmikE

obd1kenobi said:
I just dont like turboing cars that dont come turbo, too much headache and problems
Well I was just referring to Hondas. I like the sound of the vtec screaming, any other car I could care less turbo or not. I do prefer turbo but just not on Hondas.

EDIT: Nobody ever answered my question about the CEL. Would it hurt the car or performance in anyway other than being annoying? If I install a test pipe do I keep the O2 in or leave it hanging or just completely remove it and plug the bung??

Last edited: