Temp gauge is at 3/4 high - hot???

RedIntegra89

Hi There,

It's my first post and I did search before posting this question. I bought a '89 Integra for my daughter and I'm slowly doing some fixing and maintenance on the car before handing it to my daughter. Now, my question is... I noticed that the temperature is not normal just like what everyone here said on my search. The gauge reads somehow over the 3/4 marks of the temperature gauge. I've already replaced the thermostat, bleed and add coolant to the radiator. But still after a normal drive. The temp still goes to the 3/4 marks. The radiator fans is on but I do not think it's cooling it down.
Can someone help or give me suggestion on what to check next? I'm not comfortable giving it to my daughter after I resolve this issue...

Thanks in advance...

Edwin

DC Guardian

Uniqueness defines
Hmm might be the water pump, but there are symptoms of that, i forgot what they are.. lol

Btw, thanks for searching first :) and welcome!

Edit: could be a faulty thermo, did u test it in boiling water? I remember mishimoto have thermostats that open up at lower temps, on a normal condition car, the dial would be at 1/4... but id fix the problem first or leave it for last resort

Sent from my DC4

Last edited:

RedIntegra89

DC Guardian - Thanks! I did not test the old thermostat. I decided to replaced it with a new one.

Muckman - I hope it's not the head gasket. I do not see coolant mixed with the oil so far.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Oil Coolant doesnt always mix. If you have a leakdown tester you can compress air into the cylinder and see if any air bubbles come up to the open rad cap.

RedIntegra89

Muckman - No I don't have leakdown tester. Is there any other test I can do which is equivalent to that one/

DC - I hope not. That is the reason I just when with a new thermostat. It's also a pain just taking it off with so little space.

RedIntegra89

hmmm... how much is that thing cost? Is't worth buying or just bring it to shop for diagnostic? Hard to have an old car... and if I'm only well off dad. I will buy my daughter a new car. Sorry for a little rant. But so far I enjoy fixing it. I already replaced both CV axle, since it's already bad when I got it. Replaced the valve cover gasket to stop the leak from the old gasket. Did the spark plug change and oil change. If I can only fix this temp issue now... and worry about the rest of the cosmetic stuff. I think it's a good and economical car for an new teen age driver.

DC Guardian

Uniqueness defines
Its 20 or 40 at the local auto store, and thats with the guage. And dont worry bud (actually 'sir'), a little rant is obligated with these old cars lol its called a compression test kit

Sent from my DC4

awright3331

G1 TEG
I had a similar issue with my 89. I took and replaced the thermostat, flushed the engine, flushed the radiator, and replaced the water pump, Ever since then the car has never over heated. keep with this car, once you get it fixed, the car will be a reliable car. im 18, I bought this car for 1300 and dumped 1600 dollars in it so far and it runs great and drives like a brand new car

RedIntegra89

awright3331 - did you do it yourself on the water pump? how difficult to replace the water pump and timing belt?

gsr_nikhil

Sorry I'm no help but props to you for properly searching and for doing all the work just for your daughter. What a good pops lol

awright3331

G1 TEG
awright3331 - did you do it yourself on the water pump? how difficult to replace the water pump and timing belt?
Id say about a 6 hour job if your a beginner like me, it want to bad, just make sure you get timing belt and valve cover gasket

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk HD