Tachometer Wiring System.

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
Okay heres a lot of pictures...

I just took pictures of everyhting I thought maybe be related to the tach... I really want this mofo to work

Can anyone just tell me what WIRE is suppose to have what voltage and what type of voltage? SO I can pinpoint this

Last edited:

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
is there a direct wire that I can just splice into to get a direct signal? I really wanted this tach to work

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
Okay you can hardly see the circles I drew just pick a color of what is circled that would be the tach feed line

ALSO can you use a cluster wiothout plugging it in to see if its getting reading from the tach wire because I will just take my other tach to see if it works right from that wire to whatever I have to plug it in to on the dist

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
bump.. can anyone tell me which wire it is from the last pic I circled the wires I thought it would be

bfatdaintegra

IM motorvated
try running a brand new wire from the coil negative wire to the tach wire on the back of the cluster maybe its pinched against a positive wire or something stupid try it and see what happenes

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
Woot someone gave me some useful information. Which one is the Coil negative.. I tried taking a wire to the blue wire on that 2 plug next to the distributor and put it the tach but I got nothing, and It ried both my tachs

xusake

I have a question first of all, why do you need two tachometer when you already have yourself a cluster?.

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
No.... I bought an additional cluster because I thought the cluster was busted... And yet it still doesnt' work. I bought an igniter and it still doesn't work... I don't know what else it is

xusake

So what your trying to say is that, Your cluster doesn't even work at all? if that your case then try checking your fuse.

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
Sigh NO!!! man Its called tachometer for the title... ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS WHAT THE WIRE IS that I can DIRECTLY hook from the distributor to my tach... all I want to know because obviously the igniter isn't the problem because I replaced it.

I tried both clusters and tach doesn't work!

evilminion88

I ate the bones
Ok i will simplify the problem to you man. Ok first like you may have heard before the tach reads a signal from the ground side or negative side of the ignition coil pack. If you open and take off the distributor cap you will see on the coil it self two wires coming off it. There is a negative and positive symbol where these two wire connect to on the coil. The yellow wire with green strip is the neg wire. Follow it out of the distributor and you will find it going to the connector still yellow/green. (you can see it from the pic) That is the wire you can splice the tach signal wire to. Simple as that. I've already done this and it works. This goes for any car: the negative wire from the ignition coil on any car will be where you will splice into to get a signal for your aftermarket tach.

xusake

I thought it was the blue wire that how i hook mine up, but it doesn't read right soo i took it off. So you can try the yellow/green or you can splice the wire in blue shown on your picture.

The one you circle in black that the one I used on mine.

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
I am going to try that green/yellow on that multi wire plug tomorrow hope it works. Thanks for feedback