radiator fluid smokin

gsrfast24

other night i was jus sittin out talkin wit friends at local tuner night....and i was ready to leave..i remoted started my car and about..o..7 min later...smoke started to come from under the hood...so i shut it off popped the hood and found that the smoke was commin from the coolant....we let it smoke all the way out and went and bought some coolant mix..and poured it in....if it was a leak it would have been leakin on to my intake...so i know its not that , but i was jus wonderin what happend...?

JimmyRos.

07 BMW 328Xi
aahhhh ha! i had the same problem. ended up replacing the radiator itself with an aftermarket one and new hoses. bring it to your mechanic to have it inspected before it begins to worsen.

im not assuming that it has to be replaced, but is a probability.

Last edited:

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
lol.... It can leak anywhere dude...

did your radiator cap leak? or maybe even the drain on the bottom. check those out

gsrfast24

it drained at the bottom and eerything but the next day i went and got an oil change and they said it was fine....then i went to the track and didnt have any problem...liqud stays where it should be and the temp was not rising at all....i think it could be the thermostat

gsrfast24

thats the weird thing no lleak at all...when it was smoking it like jus boiled over top then started to fall from under it was to fast to see a leak..and i park in a graage so i would see it on the floor but i still havent found anything

JimmyRos.

07 BMW 328Xi
gsrfast24 said:
thats the weird thing no lleak at all...when it was smoking it like jus boiled over top then started to fall from under it was to fast to see a leak..and i park in a graage so i would see it on the floor but i still havent found anything
ditto. it's all resembling my previous problem. brought it to the shop and the radiator fluid leakedd all over the floor lol. just get it inspected because you dont want your engine to burn out from inconsistent engine cooling.

and it would be a good thing actually to upgrade your radiator since you go to the track. it'll handle better against the abuse.

gsrfast24

wat kind of radiator should i buy tho...... and should it just be the radiatot or hoses and etc.?

G3GirL

UUUHHHH-OOOOHHHHHHH...!!!
i don't know what radiator you should buy, but i'd change the hoses while you're at it if you haven't replaced them yet. they're not very expensive at all. consider it maintenance.

gsrfast24

yea i was jus lookin at some today made by greddy.....i jus love those colors but yeah i think that will be my next step

JimmyRos.

07 BMW 328Xi
im currently using visteon. im not sure of the ratings or feedbacks on them compared to others but my mechanic made the move to get it. some other really good ones would be KOYO or FLUIDYNE, which are pretty popular.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
You could just pressure test your coolant system. It is much easier to hear or see leaks when the engine isn't running

G3GirL

UUUHHHH-OOOOHHHHHHH...!!!
dc2GS-R said:
You could just pressure test your coolant system. It is much easier to hear or see leaks when the engine isn't running
i've had my other car pressure tested twice by two different independent shops, but they couldn't find the problem. they threw a bunch of different parts at it without solving the problem ( +labor ) for US to find out that is was a bhg..