new school and old school ls valve cover

k624ash

i was going to put on a valve cover from a newer ls onto my 95. but i noticed that the newer ones have a tube thingy that the old ones dont.
i stole one of Dc2Racin17's pics as an example.

the old one has a tube coming out of the same spot on the intake mani but it goes down instead of to the valve cover
you can sort of see it here

so my question is what do i do to put the new one on my car? should i just plug the hole? or should i get a peice to combine the one from the vavle cover to the one that goes down below into one tube to the intake manifold

k624ash

no, thats just an engine i found online. i could have taken a pic of mine but i didnt feel like it.

g3teg97

Super Moderator
Mine has that same thing as the 1st pic.

k624ash

yea i think they changed in 96, does yours have something that plugs in between the intake mani runners (i think they are called runners) between the first and second from the left?

DarkDB1

That tube in the middle... Just plug it with a bolt.

Its a trick im going to do to my G2 (original B18A1).

The B18B 96+ valve cover is a direct fit, Just need a bolt to plug that hole... Oh and youll need a gasket :p

k624ash

the gasket isnt different right? i just need a new one?
and what does the tube do? like why did honda decide they should add that staring in 96, something to do with obdII?

DarkDB1

That tube is still on the Old school Valve cover if you look at the intake manifold, It just go's to another location on the engine.

I dont know about the gasket, but i would get the newer B18B gasket (or B20 as ominous pointed out) just incase.

DOHCtor88

Anti-Drag racing crew #07
k624ash said:
where can i get something to plug it?
From me.. LoLZ.. My old motor is still in my backyard.. So i have the plug thingy, but i cant ship out cause im not 18 yet.. only 17.. pooie.. :|