New motor

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
b18 and b20 sleeves are totally different. b18 are cast in two pieces while b20's are cast in one solid piece, which is the reason they are weaker not because they are thinner. besides b20 is 84mm stock, and stock it is a hell of a lot stronger than a 83mm LS block if you even manage to take it out that far

i didn't read it in a magazine, i learned it through researching my engine build and being around the honda scene for the past two years. don't get defensive just admit you are wrong and move on
It's not that they're two pieces, the thing with B20s is that all four cylinders are cast together as one piece, where as all other b-series are seperate. I've seen people bore plenty of stock blocks to 84mm and they work fine. Worst thing is the sleeves start seperating, buy another block, they're a dime a donze. Anyway i've seen people bore out b18bs and not have any problem with them so, do you. The b20 sleeves are weaker, yes they are one piece but it's also because of how thin they are, they're also a bitch to resleeve because they don't clean up enough to get the orings sealed, then you have problems with coolant leaking in the crankcase. Back on topic, I don't see how your going to say that they're stronger because they were bored to 84mm from the factory. I wasn't even arguing the fact that it's going to be stronger, obviously anything bored over factory size is going to be weaker, that just seems like common sense. I guess if you want you can run a block guard but then you have the chance of running into cooling problems.

So as for that, I'm not wrong, nothing I said was misinforming, I'm not going to justify spending a grand on sleeves if he doesn't have to. This thread was for what motor is best and cheap, I stated what I would do. Don't get off on trying to castrate me on one piece of information that I didn't go into extreme detail on. I'm glad you've done your research, but i've seen them work and actually have miles put on them so i'll stick to believing in what I see and do in person. I am glad you brought that up tho because it is good information for people to know.

Last edited:

nate2k5

not a n00b
thats fine but i still maintain boring out to 83mm on stock b18 block is motor suicide, on top of having less options for pistons due to 83mm not being a very common size at all. 82mm replica cast itr pistons can be had and for the reliability boost i think it wouldn't be a rational decision to bore out 1 more mm which would then cost more and in nearly every case crack or cause the sleeve to seperate.

you have to realize, not everyone has the resources or time to just park the car when it blows. reliability is a concern of the OP's obviously and it should at least be a consideration for everyone.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I will agree after looking around that going with the 82mm is a better deal now that there's companys like rs machine making 82mm itr pistons. But just about any aftermarket forged pistons are custom made anyway so getting them at an 83mm bore has never been a problem. And like I said before, i've never had a problem with sleeves cracking or separating unless they were boosted or highly abused. Even at 84mm the sleeves have held together for around 50k miles without any problems. So I guess if your looking at putting 100k miles on the engine then no but if you plan on rebuilding in the near future they will work fine.

Last edited: