new guy---87 integra...

orwell_1984

Banned
new guy here... just got an 87 integra last night for 500 bucks... i have a camaro, and a chevy shortbed , both... beefy, 350 V8's.... about 6-8 miles per gallon...... so i got me a bucket for 500, he claims gets around 30 miles to the gallon... that sure beats 6 miles a gallon...

problems with the 87:

no smog pump
to high
clutch pedal is VERY tight
60 mph = 3,500 rpm in 5th gear?
stering wheel upside down
lights dont flip down
driver window regulator shot

any advice is great....

Last edited:

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
60 mph = 3,500 rpm
welcome to the world of small motors. You're used to your v8's holding at a lower rpm. in all honesty, that's normal for small 4 bangers. we just can't make the torque down low like the 8's can.

lights... you might need a new motor, I personally don't know anyhting about flip headlights.

steeringwheel upside down... YOu could take it off and straiten it, or take it in for an alignment. the alignment COULD just be so far off that it makes the wheel sit in a different spot then it's suposted to.

driver window regulator = replace

smog pump? what's that?

Welcome to the site! Glad to see you hit double digits in your gas mileage. lol, be sure to post pics of all your rides! Just because it's an integra forum, doesn't mean we don't like seeing the old stuff too!

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
-No smog pump, i'm confused, ummm...they have a charcoal canister, i'd have to look into that one.
-Too high, you can lower it with aftermarket springs, easiest way
-You have a cable tranny, look at your engine on the left is the tranny, on top of the tranny directly below your distributor you have a cable going into it, there is an adjustment on the cable, if you loosen it, it will soften your pedal up some, be careful not to tighten it or you'll loose freeplay an wear your throw out bearing.
-To fix the steering wheel you will have to pull the center out then I think it's around a 32mm nut in there you will have to take off, you can then pull your steering wheel off and center it correctly.
-The lights could be wiring or it could be a relay or it could be the motor's but that's unlikely
- And the regulator will just need to be replaced, most parts stores should carry it.

DeAcevedo45

Second Glance
^ he covered everything.
Welcome to the site
Clean up the Integra and post some pics...those suckers are rare so lets see it

orwell_1984

Banned
i used to be strickly first gen celicas... those are fun... with a 22r or an 18rg...(old school stuff)...lol
this is my 4th? honda/acura..(they last forever).. i love being able to go far..... something i cant do in my chev's :(

DeAcevedo45

Second Glance
not bad at all, its definately got potential. rims, drop, paint (maybe some wax, compound, etc first) and go from there

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
It's got no clear coat, compound won't do much. Compund melts the clear coat so it fills in it's own holes. There's something the detailers at work use, but I can't remember what it is...

Aussie, the car is 21 years old, how could you rule out the motor as being unlikely. honestly, the whole system is probably in need of replacing being that old. lol

orwell_1984

Banned
it runs perfect... it has ALOT of get up and go... the motor is spotless, also the guy told me its a "new" motor...

only mechanical problem is the clutch... the pedal just feels sooooo wrong...compared to my old 86 accord....my accord, the clutch pedal was soooo soft and smooth....this integra, the pedal feels soo rigid, i mean you really have to use alotta force to depress it... "cable adjusted to hide bad clutch disk?"

i dont really plan on lowering it.. (this is going to be my practical car) i may just get the original acura mags, heat the spring just a tad.... hook up an A/C, sounds, paint (silver? black? white? )

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Aussie, the car is 21 years old, how could you rule out the motor as being unlikely. honestly, the whole system is probably in need of replacing being that old. lol
Well it is a possibliilty but i've seen more problems with the relays and wiring then the actual motors gone bad on these cars. Also alot of times one goes bad and owners will turn them both up and pull the relay so you wont' have the squinty look when they're shut off, another possibliliy.

graveyardhippie

it runs perfect... it has ALOT of get up and go... the motor is spotless, also the guy told me its a "new" motor...

only mechanical problem is the clutch... the pedal just feels sooooo wrong...compared to my old 86 accord....my accord, the clutch pedal was soooo soft and smooth....this integra, the pedal feels soo rigid, i mean you really have to use alotta force to depress it... "cable adjusted to hide bad clutch disk?"

i dont really plan on lowering it.. (this is going to be my practical car) i may just get the original acura mags, heat the spring just a tad.... hook up an A/C, sounds, paint (silver? black? white? )
i dare you to heat the front springs..... anywho, with ur clutch, unscrew the cable from the tranny, and put some lithium grease or soemthing in it. ye olde cable may just be rusted a bit. hard to believe with a newer car, but it happens. the gears in the old tegs are similar to the SI or GSR range i believe. that's where the 3500 at cruisin speed comes from. not much you can do about that as no other trannys bolt up to that engine. lest you wanna spend big bucks with bizimoto. they can bolt even an LS to that engine... but you'll need to do some welding too. not worth it imo. i think everything else got covered, if not, feel free to PM me.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
the difference between hydro and cable is INCREDIBLE! expecially if it's a performance clutch.

going from my civic to my brother's teg is insane, and he's only got a stage 1 clutch. Going back to the civic after driving his car makes my car like stepping in smashed potatoes. lol

orwell_1984

Banned
drivers window regulator--replaced
flip down lights---fixed? (found switch) fixed enough to go up and down...radiator support is out of wack (small crash)
fuse replaced

found out that the fan blows full time, never heats up

question: how hard is it to hook up A/C? lines / A/C controls / A/C compressor?...what else?

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
Compresser, condensor, evaporator, lines, reciever/dryer, txv, wiring, belt, and whatever computer controls it.

it's actually a lot of work and can get very expensive if you don't have it already on the car...