LS/VTEC or K20

DJNAS

HUSTLING FOR A HUSTLER
LaDY iNTEgRa 9 said:
Heres my .02--

B-series motors have been around and for the most part very loyal/reliable for quite a while. With the right work, you can make them hella faster than any K motor. I'm not just saying that because I have one, because mines a POS and I'm looking to do a motor swap myself. I'm investing in the LS/VTEC. Currently I have the LS/nonvtec. Maybe I'll just fix my internal problems and soup them up, then swap heads, but I'm not completely sure on that yet.

K-series I'm not a big fan of. No-doubt that stock they are faster, but eh. As for some guy blowing his motor with a missed shift.. he probably beat that thing to death, literally. People do tend to get souped and drive their cars like they're made to constantly be driven maxxed out. They're not. And especially without the proper maintenance for that type of driving, motors will blow. Trans will get shot. Sucks but it happens. :oops:

Have you considered the H series? Those are good motors too!

But out of the two mentioned- I'd go with the B-series any day. :)

yeah i like that idear of the H series in a teg but i bleave it sits lower in tegs ..

Black94LS

Anti Rice, Yet anti JDM
wow, the K series is amazing, i love them. They put out impressive numbers on the Dyno with a few minor Bolt-ons. Most honda tranny's suck thats just how theya re so oh well. And the 6th gear is pretty sweet in the type S. Oh and mojo, when you hit lift, how much louder does the car get, i didnt know if its loud like it is in the Type S.

Regulator23

who ever said K series trannies are weak is stupid, the only weak k series tranny is the k20a3 5-speed, it is not a built tranny and unfortunately...people drop a k20a2 and not the tranny and it breaks.... any K will adapt better to mods than ANY B-series... ive seen a k-24 w/ just hondata s200 tuning run 12.63 in a eg... cmon thats damn impressive... no b-series can do that....

Josh

the engines are about the same price now but you have to buy K-pro, motor mounts, custom header/ intake, axle's for a k series engine in are DC's so your going to end up spending an extra 3 to 4 grand on that stuff. but your going to be a hell of alot faster.

g3teg97

Super Moderator
I don't know that much info on K Series but obviously it's got to be better than the B Series in some ways. The engines are evolving and they're making improvemetns, workin out the bugs, etc. Soon were gunna be talkinga bout K series this K series that and were gunna forget about the B Series.

1329itr00

Type R
i would do k-series its a lil more expensive because you have to buy new mounts and a lot of other things but i think it is totally worth it... someone asks you for a ride you shift into sixth there gonna be like wtf lol... but its worth it they put down better numbers stock... theres a lot of stuff out there for them already and it hasn't even been out that long and people are doing a lot of nice stuff with them i was gonna put one in a hatch but i didn't have enough money to do it i think k-series are sick and your best bet IMO

MoJoJoJo

Banned
Regulator23 said:
who ever said K series trannies are weak is stupid, the only weak k series tranny is the k20a3 5-speed, it is not a built tranny and unfortunately...people drop a k20a2 and not the tranny and it breaks.... any K will adapt better to mods than ANY B-series... ive seen a k-24 w/ just hondata s200 tuning run 12.63 in a eg... cmon thats damn impressive... no b-series can do that....
i dont think so...5 speed trannies work fine, can handle turbo fine aswell...you must be referring to the auto tranny.

Last edited:

Matticus

If you have the money, k series would be in your best interest. But, most people cant touch a swap in their integra/civic for less than 5g's. The only reason to go ls/vtec IMO is to do it yourself and save money. What I do not quite understand are the people paying shops to do ls/vtec conversions and then replace their rod bolts with arp etc. Just doesnt make sense to me when you can buy a gsr longblock for what you are paying to run ls/vtec granted you do get a little different stroke but, for the money . . . . .

I know if I could sell my built ls/vtec for a k series swap with the mounts, axles, and harness, I would do it in a heartbeat

JSPEC Ek9

- VeLoCiTy -
i had an Ls/Vtec in my hatch...and i kept up with a couple of k series motors..its all on how you build it. i think you could pull atleast 200 HP with an ls vtec stock...meaning OEM honda parts. But an Ls vtec needs alot of care....so if you don't want to deal with the hassle, just get a k20.

siscoke

JSPEC Ek9 said:
. But an Ls vtec needs alot of care....so if you don't want to deal with the hassle, just get a k20.
alot of care? like more then others? and why is that? (just curious)

id apriciate the answer :D

greetz sis

JSPEC Ek9

- VeLoCiTy -
siscoke said:
alot of care? like more then others? and why is that? (just curious)

id apriciate the answer :D

greetz sis
meaning, you have to change the oil constantly, and once build you have to break in...ETC....and the build is very horrible...i've build mines, and it was such a hassle.....there should be write ups on it...
:google: is your friend search...