Just bought teg.. Not firing all cylinders.

chase_gavinDA

ok.. Heres the scoop. I just got a 1991 RS. Still kinda excited being that I bought it for 200 bucks, if engine cant be salvaged, swap or part it out :) Ok so suprisingly enough, first time being started in 2 months, fired right up no prob. Although, after idling for about 10 minutes of fresh gas, not very rev happy. So shut it off, changed all filters and oil, and did it again. Not as sad-acting, but backfires when throttle is released. No biggy, so i put it into first, goes in smooth and clutch is grabby, but next to no power :/ any ideas? I plan on replacing all ignition parts this week. and btw.. who stole the cat off of it??

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
First things first, is the check engine light on? Go pull the codes if it is. I would also start with a compression test to find out the condition of the internals

chase_gavinDA

Where could I have the test done? I am in texas and the car is in Alabama at my brother's of all places. But I'll have him check the code, thanks.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
A compression test is easy. If he is even the tiniest bit mechanically inclined he could do it himself. It's a simple procedure.

Otherwise, just about any shop should perform the test

wite2nr

compression test is easy, but a leakdown test will give you a much better idea of the kind of shape that the engine is in. no cat = CEL, see what other codes you might have. and changing the cap/rotor/plugs/wires will definitely help.

da9_16boi

if it still backfires after you changed the ignition parts go check the timing and make sure you sparkplugs are in the rite cylinders

chase_gavinDA

also a little factor that may have to do with it, theres like nasty oil all on the side of the engine mainly close to coil and distributor(left side of engine). head gasket problem, maybe? i believe this would cause me to lose compression. if not, lay low on the newb jokes, but this also happened on my crx and i lost alot of power.

chase_gavinDA

very nice paint on your DA btw, what is it off of? I need mine painted bc of some small rust spots around the hatch...

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
The oil leak will not have anything to do with a loss of compression. A blown headgasket will leak coolant into your combustion chamber and oil. It will not cause a nasty oil leak all over the place. An oil leak up there is probably the result of the valve cover gasket, spark plug seals, cam seals or something of that nature

chase_gavinDA

Just ordered a MSD coil, distributor, wires, and NGK plugs, but won't be til Friday or Monday that theyll be put on :( Hope this does it, but still ordering all new gaskets. :) Maybe I can bring this old A1 back to life!

heykosal

Angkorian
if it still backfires after you changed the ignition parts go check the timing and make sure you sparkplugs are in the rite cylinders
Do you mean make sure the wires are going to the correct cylinders? Cause all the spark plugs are the same..