help please. can't rev past 3500

steverthebeaver

I am at my wits end. My engine keeps cutting out at 3500 rpms when it gets to operating temperature. I have replaced the plugs, wires, coil, fuel filter, oxygen sensor and MAP sensor all to no avail. Any ideas anyone?

Silver Knight

not sure what year your car is but have you checked you FITV (if its applicable. 95 and below)? if your not sure where that is, it sits on the back on the intake manifold. i know when i did my ls/vtec swap, i used an intake manifold off a 95 and my FITV was clogged like no other and caused the car to die. i took it out, cleaned it up, put it back together, and and haven't had any problems since.

Last edited:

steverthebeaver

my car is a 1998, LS, just has a B18 engine. It has an aftermarket air filter on it but other than that no others. And whats a FITV?

lsdc2

you can maybe take the idle air control valve out and see if it is dirty (its on the back of the intake manifold close to the throttle body)

chickwithastick

Sounds like your car is in limp mode. Is your check engine light on?

chickwithastick

You should probably find out the codes so you can fix that.....

Take your car to an auto parts store in your area. The majority of them all offer the scan tool free of charge.

GroceryGettinDB7

GHK ALL DAY!!
my car was running fine until i around 3k and then it would just fall on its face when my timing jumped....idk something to think about.

steverthebeaver

so i got the codes read. One was PO335 crankshaft position sensor, P1129 Manufacturer fuel/ air meter, PO172 system too rich, and fuel trim malfunction.

esco115

Fawk a Title!
check ur cat might be clogged.... my accord gave the same codes and I replaced everything and at the end it was a bad cat... btw it didnt pass 3500 rpms either...