Engine swap

Golden_DA

Hey guys im new to this so if i dont understand fast than u know why.Well i need to do an engine swap but i want to make sure i put the right engine due to getting pulled over every day and having to pop open my hood. thinking of going ls vtec or even gsr so let me know what is best thanks o and keep in mind im in cali.

xusake

DA or DC will it doesn't matter if you want to save money get yourself a b16 or else find yourself a b16 head and a ls bottom block with lsv kit. you can pull 200whp instead of doing that just do poor man type r gsr bottom block with b16 head, but if i was you and since you live in Cali just get yourself a b16 complete swap with paper so you dont have to worrie about the 2 year emission test and getting pull over poping ur hood.

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Dude you need to get your engine swap BAR'd. First of all, what year is your car and what motor do you have now?

Btw if you get popped w/ an ls/vtec and they send you to the ref you're fucked, so be careful with that.

cripemaster

i don't konw the rules in california but you should just save a bit for a full gsr swap cause so far everyone i know with a b16 said it seems significantly underpowered compared to a gsr. hope this helps.

red.line

Hey guys im new to this so if i dont understand fast than u know why.Well i need to do an engine swap but i want to make sure i put the right engine due to getting pulled over every day and having to pop open my hood. thinking of going ls vtec or even gsr so let me know what is best thanks o and keep in mind im in cali.
What do you mean, "the right engine"?
I live in Alberta, so I'm unfamiliar with the motor vehicle laws and what not in the States.

wite2nr

I live in Alberta, so I'm unfamiliar with the motor vehicle laws and what not in the States.
the laws regarding motors swaps are very stringent, especially in california.

how is an ls/v not able to get reff'd? sorry I've never had to go to bar/reff.

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
I think Cali is the only state with all the rules, he needs a motor newer than his car. It also has to be USDM now. Fuck Cali. :lol:

As for the car. A XSi B16 swap probably won't work anymore because of the Cali BS, but you can still get a USDM Gsr swap. Just figure out if you want to go to a hydro transmission or use a cable trans with the B18C1

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
the laws regarding motors swaps are very stringent, especially in california.

how is an ls/v not able to get reff'd? sorry I've never had to go to bar/reff.
Because they'll see that the head vin and engine vin don't match up. Or see the vtec valve cover and b18b block and fail you.

I think Cali is the only state with all the rules, he needs a motor newer than his car. It also has to be USDM now. Fuck Cali. :lol:

As for the car. A XSi B16 swap probably won't work anymore because of the Cali BS, but you can still get a USDM Gsr swap. Just figure out if you want to go to a hydro transmission or use a cable trans with the B18C1
Hey I love Cali! Except for the fucking laws :lol:

Yeah you must have a usdm engine that's the same year or newer IF you choose to upgrade (i.e. step up to a b16/18c)

But you CAN have a jdm engine as long as it's the same one that was in ur car. EXAMPLE: if you have a 1992 integra ls, you can have a 1992 OR 1993 usdm OR jdm b18a. But if you want a b18c1, b16, k20, etc., it must be usdm and you must get any engine swap BAR'd to be truly legal and able to go to a smog station & pass.

Last edited:

xusake

Fast car on the street = Jail time and tow to the pound lol that if you live in Cali. Then ill come pick up your parts for cheap :D Mostly your aftermarket stuff

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Fast car on the street = Jail time and tow to the pound lol that if you live in Cali. Then ill come pick up your parts for cheap :D Mostly your aftermarket stuff
Not really. It's all about CARB legal boost and barely legal N/A builds 'round here. And keeping your car non-rice.

Golden_DA

its a 90' ls but i got b20 heads and ive been told that my b18 valve cover might fit so tha the vin number matches and u wont be able to tell that i did a head swap

Golden_DA

What exactly is the Reff i havent heard of that yet ive just been pulled over and asked to open my hood and thats all couple of fix tickets no big thing but never taken to a Reff.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'

Not true, if you have a DC4 you can not have a JDM type R or gsr, you can swap in a jdm ls. Its considered a "replacement motor" if you have DC2 you can put type R and gsr jdm motors in.