dyno questions

yunwawa

So like i've said a little around here. I got the 97 gsr body with a b18c engine+tranny. However I went to the dyno and the numbers I got back were not what I hoped for considering the intake and exhaust with vafc2. After some a/f tuning I went from 156.37 BHP/115.83 BTQ to 164.07BHP/ 125.25BTQ. Pretty nice for the tuning session but I thought for some reason the B18C block should be putting out more than that. SHouldn't it?:( I mean even if the dyno was off by 10% I would be about ten hp under what the engine is rated. I understand that time is the ultimate killer of jdm engines next to japanese teenagers but I'm still a little confused. Also I think the intake manifold is a cheap aftermarket knockoff. Which I'll fix shortly!!

heykosal

Angkorian
Youve got that whale penis right? Idk id say that whp number is about right considering stockies put down between 135-145whp. You have basic breathing mods, and slightly higher compression pistons. Now idk about the pistons, but 20hp for intake and full exhaust is pretty normal i guess. At 164whp youre making like 190 crank hp. Some cams and gears would push that number well over 200whp like at least 205whp. If i were you id make cams my next investment, unless youre planning on boosting.

Like for me, with my intake, header, exhaust. I MIGHT be making 150whp. So id consider you good homie:thumbs up

STOP BEING GREEDY!!!!:lol:

yunwawa

I am greedy, lol. WHere did you get the number 190 from? I don't know much about dynos. With my old , 00 si, I just slapped parts on until it went faster, pretty old school huh? I was thinking a whole cam setup too, but something needs to be done about the airflow, IM. Regardless thanks for the good word I was worried but am better now that I can know that I'm making about what I should.

I know this is the wrong section too but anyone want to trade a regular gauge cluster for a Type R one ?? It is really pissing me off being in kilometers

Last edited:

heykosal

Angkorian
I got 190 by taking 164 and adding 15%(for drivetrain losses). Actually 164+15% is really 188.6 but I rounded up:) Drivetrain losses meaning all the parasitic loss between the flywheel and the front wheels, such as the transmission, gears, axles, wheel bearings, and wheels/tires. Those things dont just magically start spinning.
Get cams before an aftermarket IM a stock one is fine. But yeah if youve got a cheap knockoff then get it replaced!!

Last edited:

yunwawa

no I'm saying the IM on there now is a cheap knock-off. I think that your right though, a good shaft and gear combo will take me to the next level. But i might turbo in the future but no time soon so it's a good buy for the time being. The HUNT IS ON!!!

heykosal

Angkorian
Then since you have all those other R parts, then just get R cams and Skunk2 gears. R cams are good too boost on anyways. I mean, GSR cams would probably be better but ITR cams would be better than any companys stage 1 non-turbo cam ya dig?
Anyways, when you get a turbo can i buy the mugen header? Im also planning boost but i just want that piece.
Give this thread another day or something, more knowledgable people will respond to you with better answers.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Are you positive you have a B18C from a JDM ITR, or is it from a JDM Integra SiR? They both have a B18C engine code, but the SiR is178HP/129TQ stock, while the ITR is 197HP/134TQ.

yunwawa

80k on the type r cluster and the carfax report showed the same. yeah the block and head are B18C, the frame is GSR

yunwawa

alright I have some numbers but I don't know if their right, so laugh hard...

in the circles; 98 8 31 06
to the right of the circles; pr3-3
just random numbers (matched the block) 2102655

I tell you guys what. A b16a2 is much easier to read

TypeR?

i believe the most power you can get out of stock gsr cams(jdm or not) is 175whp so i would say those are pretty good numbers. now its time for some cams and valvetrain upgrade followed by or accompanied by some high compression pistons