Driving Speeds

Jmoney187

LivinLow
Woooooooo... so I love my new car...2000 LS bone stock/59,600miles/5spd.
I was wondering if someone experienced could tell me safe shifting points, like if i wana get on it a little bit, where i can take the rpm's to without damaging anything. I heard the B18 block can only hold untill 7,000 rpm's.
BTW: I'm going for midrange power, AEM CAI (being shipped), 4-2-1 header, 2.25" exhaust/cat

Thanks guys Joey

1990TeGLs

Official CI Thread Jacker
LS redlines at 6500 after that the fuel cutoff is gonna kick in....u can get on it as much as u want just dont bounce off rev limiter .....shift right b4 redline ....i mean dont do it all day long but its safe to do

teg9five

a.k.a. crabs!
i generally shift at about 3000-4000 when im cruising. and if i need to get on it in traffic then ill take it to maybe about 5000-5500. i try not to redline though while daily driving

g3teg97

Super Moderator
The Redline in a stock DC4 [94 - 01 LS] is 6,800 RPM. The fuel cutoff is at 7,000 - 7,100. If you're getting on it, try to shift around 6,600 - 6,700.

For normal driving I shift anywhere from 2,500 - 3,000. If you want to know what Honda recomends, read you car manual.

slow_99integra

Stinkin & Drinkin
if you are racing shift a 1,000rpms before redline. the power drop happens after that. shift right before 6,000 rpms.

teggyls

STREET SAMURAI
take it to the redline if you want its not gonna hurt ya but normally drivin i go to about 3500 maybe 4000 if im tryn to get in with traffic when i race i go to the redline

1990TeGLs

i redline my car atleast 10 times a day

1990TeGLs

ahhaha i kno and i was kidding .....but i do have a habit of shifting at high rpms most of the time

1990TeGLs

but wait doesnt that mean if i get a b16a and i shift at like 8200 all the time isnt that motor meant to do that well not all the time but u kno wat i mean

Last edited:

teggyls

STREET SAMURAI
^^lol...oh and btw the best way to find out this info just drive ur car and see what gets you the best results

slow_99integra

Stinkin & Drinkin
teggyls said:
^^lol...oh and btw the best way to find out this info just drive ur car and see what gets you the best results
Thats true, BUT THE VERY BEST WAY is to spend the $70-80 and get your car dyno'd to see the perfect shift points. you need to look and see when the torque curve is dropping. We don not have torque all the way to redline. you want to shift at the torque drop.

yes the motor can take 8200 rpms, but not all the time. EXAMPLE we can all lift 100lbs But can we do it everyday all the time?? NO after a while that 100lbs feels like a 1,000lbs. engines can take the redline, but not all the time everytime.

teggyls

STREET SAMURAI
slow_99integra said:
Thats true, BUT THE VERY BEST WAY is to spend the $70-80 and get your car dyno'd to see the perfect shift points. you need to look and see when the torque curve is dropping. We don not have torque all the way to redline. you want to shift at the torque drop.

yes the motor can take 8200 rpms, but not all the time. EXAMPLE we can all lift 100lbs But can we do it everyday all the time?? NO after a while that 100lbs feels like a 1,000lbs. engines can take the redline, but not all the time everytime.
very true i did get my car dynoed at englishtown last october i got the sheet somewheres havent looked at it recently i just go but feeling i havent raced since then ne ways