correct suspension to use for K-series swap

omgherb

93 Rs Looking ITs best
yo im about to run a rsx type-r motor n my 93 integra 2dr rs model. so i was just wondering from the weight different from a b-series to a k-series is a big different in weight so i was wodering so i dont be bottomin out every 3sec, i live in new jersey and the roads car $hitty and needs to be paved so can anyone help who have done the swap

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
Weight diference is not like swapping a h22 to a teg which is like 70 pounds more which is significant if you like to road race and such but if in doubt just get coilover so you can adjust the ride heigh instead of gettin some stiff springs and be miserable

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
cabezzzdb8 said:
just get coilover so you can adjust the ride heigh instead of gettin some stiff springs and be miserable
Get good coilovers so you can adjust preload as well. That will help you even more. Also dialing in the corner weighting is key to get predictable and repeatable handling. It helps balance the car equally on its weight so it performs exactly the same in left and right hand corners

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
as mentioned before, K swaps (especially into DA's) are very expensive. and into DA's, VERY DIFFICULT. almost every part you'll need to perform the swap (mounts, crossmembers, harness adapters etc.) will need to be custom made as NO ONE has them on the market yet. HASport has mounts coming sometime this decade, but for the most part, thats about it. if you've got the loot for a K swap, then go with a fully adjustable Tein suspension or something. and the weight difference from a B18A1 to a K20A is pretty significant btw.

K swap (depending on where you source the motor) including all necessary parts can range to around 10k.
Fully adjustable Tein Suspension setup, around 2,300+

if you've got that kind of money, more power to you. if not, i wouldn't bother with it as close to no one has completed this swap into a DA/DB.

one person on G2IC has done it, but he is doing a complete car build. not just a swap. he's had the motor in his car several times. and EVERYTHING used for the swap was custom. and made by him.

if you wish to pursue the swap, i wish you good luck and please keep us posted with updates as it would be a momentus occasion. not trying to hate, just letting you further know what you're getting into.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
its NOT worth it for a DA. Don't even try.

jrocmyworld from G2ic said:
a k20 swap would be nice but like again it would be custom. again no mounts, wiring, and whole shit load of custom stuff. but it has been done to other cars. i think one of the problems is that the k series engines are too tall, so that equates to very low ground clearance since the oilpan sits dangerously close to the ground and/or the hood could not close and would have to make a custom hood, which would probably look horrible. maybe if somone had the cash to run a dry sump oil system can make it happen without having the engine height clearance.
tony said:
any pics of a D in a da?
Here are some pics of a guy doing a RHD K on g2ic. He's put a lot of time and work into this baby. I give him props, but Its dumb of him to waste all that money on it...

Things needed to try and do the conversion:

darin d from G2ic said:
Ive been doing a little bit of research and hopefully I am going to get some headway this summer depending on how work goes. As far as cost are concerned, The parts are going to run around 5-6k for the swap, not to mention labor. I started a thread a while back looking for information, but the best place for information I have found is k20a.org. There is obviously going be a decent amount of work involved, but what is the fun in a weekend swap. From what I have seen hood clearance is going to be pretty tight, but you should be able to sqeeze 3-4 inches of oilpan clearance depending on your drop, and the orientation on the block in the engine bay. Remember the h22 is actually taller then a k20 and has been swapped into a handful of DAs. From what I have found you are going to need the following
k20a2 longblock and tranny along with -04 ecu, harness plugs, intake manifold, throttle body, axles, and shift linkage
Then for the rest of the list
..Motor mounts and clutch converison
..Civic half radiator
..Tsx header, could also try a possibly a dc or dtr swap header
..Manual p/s rack and non abs conversion
..Send ecu to hondata for kpro mod, or use dc2 type r ecu
..Aftermarket fuel rail and fpr
..Carcepts shift linkage kit
..36mm hub conversion (98+itr or circuitworx 4x100 hubs)
When I tear into this project I also plan do a wire tuck, battery relocation, new fuellines, brakelines(needed for abs removal) and a few other small projects depending on how everything goes.
All in all its NOT worth it. You'll lose your oil pan over a speed bump or something.

omgherb

93 Rs Looking ITs best
omgherb said:
a shop told me for this job to be done its just like doing it in a crx so i went on a civic forum and found this so i have a feeling its not as hard as people say i could be wrong

Last edited:

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
That's a CRX. The engine bay's are completly different. also, look how low that engine is to the ground! Go look on G2ic (link). Everywhere on there they all say it isnt even worth it. It's a sweet idea and all, but not worth it. If you really want to K something, go find a cheap Civic hatch. It'll be faster and more of a realistic swap.

I give you credit for wanting to do it, but it really isn't worth the time or the hastle.

MidniteFreedom

peter...maybe it has the red jdm valve cover? lol
and about the k swap... it Would be cool to have it on a DA but liek what other said dangerouse and cost alot.
i would just swap a b18c5 on the DA IMO.

tisguy

lol I'd wait 10 years for the cost of parts to drop, then consider doing it. I mean seriously 10k for an engine and tranny alone? unless you're rich and have lots of time on your hands, it's not worth doing. just go for a sexy b18c.

omgherb

93 Rs Looking ITs best
tisguy said:
lol I'd wait 10 years for the cost of parts to drop, then consider doing it. I mean seriously 10k for an engine and tranny alone? unless you're rich and have lots of time on your hands, it's not worth doing. just go for a sexy b18c.
10k no way!!! never does it cost that much for motor and trans i can get motor and trans axels for about $3700 and motors mounts are about $700. shift linkage is about $400
but now i have been thinking about it and im going to do a b20 vtec setup
i had a lsVtec, car was stolen motor was taken, i have a LS in my car now that is why i was so focus on the K-Series motor setup i should go with because ya all told me not to lol, but in the long run money and time wise! im not going to because that same amount of money could make sumthing 10x faster so im going with B20tec turbo swap i will be placing photos up so look out for them

tisguy

omgherb said:
10k no way!!! never does it cost that much for motor and trans i can get motor and trans axels for about $3700 and motors mounts are about $700. shift linkage is about $400
but now i have been thinking about it and im going to do a b20 vtec setup
i had a lsVtec, car was stolen motor was taken, i have a LS in my car now that is why i was so focus on the K-Series motor setup i should go with because ya all told me not to lol, but in the long run money and time wise! im not going to because that same amount of money could make sumthing 10x faster so im going with B20tec turbo swap i will be placing photos up so look out for them
yea I was overestimating, but anything costing me over 5gs I like to put a higher sticker price on it so it discourages me more =P. but that b20 swap is a lot more reasonable if you think about it.