Convince Me

SRLNCLT

K, I'm new to the integra. My father and I are looking to buy a 90-95 Integra for taking out to our local track and race. It may also be used as a light daily driver. I'm not wanting to do anything too crazy with it buy in the furture we may possibly turbo it. Right now we're looking at a 94 ls 4 door, milano red, 125000 miles. The original owner is selling it. Great interior. Just steam cleaned the engine and it looks like new. I've seen pics of other 94-96 tegs and the black paint is coming off the valve cover, well not on this one. I can't get over how clean the engine is. K, now on to the bad part. Typical woman driver. There are probably about 15-20 dings dents on it. Most could be taken out with paintless dent removal. The right front fender is pretty mashed up. It probably needs to be replaced. But it's for racing, so it doesn't have to be perfect. They were asking $2700, my dad offered $2000. They said $2500, he offered $2300. They wouldn't go down anymore.

Here is the next one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4555430017&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT
This is for sale here locally. If I purchased it through the dealer it would be $3600. But as you can see, on ebay it probably won't get up that high. So I figue $1500-2000. But check the higher mileage and I'm not crazy on white. And the chrome would be gone.

I drove the 94 and it is solid. Already had timing belt changed. New tires, but those will be gone if we get it. It is an auto but that is alright. Everything works.

Now my question(s). Which should we go for? Please tell my why you feel this way. I'm gonna pass it on to my dad. Is he being crazy over $200? I think so. The 94 is really dirty on the outside, it's been sitting in the same spot for at least a month if not 2. The mileage is the part that I'm concerned about. Also, I love 4 doors that are fixed up so I really want the 94. Don't they have the same engine? The b18b1.

I'm not new to this game. As you can see in my sig, I now on an Element. I had a 96 Civic Lx that I had fixed up for a few years and then I wanted something different, hence the Element. It is great!!
Thanks for all your help!!!
L.

01cleatus

I think you gotta think about your options here.
The 94 4-door is an automatic and it weighs more than the other teg. However I believe you will be able to find more parts compatable with the 3rd gen integra. But at the present moment it costs about 1200 bucks more now.
The 91 LS is cheaper at the moment and lighter. Like you said about the dings, you don't care about them cause its gonna be a "race car" so honestly who cares if its white. Personally I like the white tegs. Second thing is it is a manual, which is more responsive to modifications you may do in the future to your car.
If it were me if this auction price for the 91 integra stays low like it is now, then get it , with the money you could save you could invest on piecing together a turbo kit for it in the meantime. Also if it is just for racing, strip the crap out of the car. Lighter = Faster down the track. But if the 91 gets too expensive then get the 4 door if you have to get a car now. Or if you can talk then down a little more. Then do tranny swap. That or if anything wait I'm sure you'll be able to find a manual integra for around the same price if you just be a little more patient, also if you just chill you can save a little bit more money and broaden the choices for a vehicle that you could buy.
Since you don't HAVE to get the car for daily use and you are only getting it for track use, just chill fro now and save up some more money and I'm sure you could get a better track car. But if you can't wait....get the 91 LS. The money you will save and the manual transmission will be better in the long run. But good luck to you and your dad, and keep us posted bro.

sleeperintegra

SRLNCLT said:
K, now on to the bad part. Typical woman driver. There are probably about 15-20 dings dents on it.
Thats not fair, I've seen men trash more cars than women.

I'd go w/ the 2nd gen one.

SRLNCLT

I guess she's not the typical woman driver. She was the type of driver that didn't care where she parked. If it was an inch or 4 feet from the next car over. No offense was meant towards anyone.
L.

SRLNCLT

I apologize. I just wanted to get as much traffic as possible. I first posted in the 3rd gen then noticed it wasn't too busy. Then I saw the newbie thread, and figured that would have been a better place to post.
L.

SRLNCLT

K, we're leaning towards the 94 four door. We drove the 91 today it was rough and the clutch seemed like it needed some work. We also would have gotten the front seats recovered. So we figure at least $1625 cuz that's what it is at now + $800-$1000 for seats/suspension/clutch, we could get the 94. Only thing with the 94 is the fender and like some have mentioned, Ebay and get it sprayed. We may just get the fender, go to Maaco and get the whole thing sprayed a similar red color. The paint code is R81. Can Maaco do a decent paint job. How much w/ clear coat?
Thanks
L.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
If you want a quality paint job, don't go to Maaco. A nice paint job is going to be over $2000. You get what you pay for. Ask around for references for a local, privately owned shop that's been around a while.

The 91 Integra will have a B18A engine:1.8 liter, 130HP/121TQ
The 94 Integra will have a B18B engine: 1.8 liter, 142HP/127TQ
The are both 9.2:1 compression and have 1834 cc's of displacement.

Do you know about the GSR model?
2nd gen. (92-93) GSR has a B17A engine:1.7 liter, 160HP/117TQ
3rd gen. (94-01) GSR has a B18C engine:1.8 liter, 170HP/128TQ
All GSR's have the DOHC VTEC system, are fully loaded, and 2nd gen's are hard to find.

A general, watered down history of the Integra:
1st generation (86-89) great handling, lacks power, a street legal Go-Kart, basically. 2nd generation (90-93) much better power, handling to equal the power was lacking. 3rd generation (94-01) great power and handling, they put it all together perfectly the third time around.

SRLNCLT

I know that Maaco won't be quality. This is just gonna be a project car. We aren't looking for the best we are just wanting to get rid of the scratches and get the fender painted. I wish we could do a $2000 paint job but I'd rather put it into the engine
L.

SRLNCLT

We got the 94 for $2400. We are gonna pick it up tonight!!! There will be much more to come, so don't get sick of me asking tons of questions.
L.

SRLNCLT

TegSox said:
If you want a quality paint job, don't go to Maaco. A nice paint job is going to be over $2000. You get what you pay for. Ask around for references for a local, privately owned shop that's been around a while.

The 91 Integra will have a B18A engine:1.8 liter, 130HP/121TQ
The 94 Integra will have a B18B engine: 1.8 liter, 142HP/127TQ
The are both 9.2:1 compression and have 1834 cc's of displacement.

Do you know about the GSR model?
2nd gen. (92-93) GSR has a B17A engine:1.7 liter, 160HP/117TQ
3rd gen. (94-01) GSR has a B18C engine:1.8 liter, 170HP/128TQ
All GSR's have the DOHC VTEC system, are fully loaded, and 2nd gen's are hard to find.

A general, watered down history of the Integra:
1st generation (86-89) great handling, lacks power, a street legal Go-Kart, basically. 2nd generation (90-93) much better power, handling to equal the power was lacking. 3rd generation (94-01) great power and handling, they put it all together perfectly the third time around.
I'm suprised the torque between teh 94 B18B and 94 B18C are so close? Is this right?
L.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Yep, they're that close. Actually, the B18B hits it's peak torque 1,000 rpm's sooner than the B18C, at 5,200 rpm vs. 6,200 rpm. The B18B has slightly more displacement than the B18C, 1834cc's vs. 1797cc's. But don't take the TQ numbers I typed here as Bible. Depending on the source, some would say the GSR's TQ is anywhere from 127-129, and the B18B's is anywhere from 128-130. It is general consensus that the B18B has the TQ advantage over the B18C.

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
If your gonna race it, first thing I'd do is say good bye to most of the interior. Might be able to sell some of it and invest in some upgrades.

Second thing I'd do is get some clubintegra.com stickers and represent at the track.