coilover kit installation

chozen93DA

just bought my very first coilover kit and ive been wanting to install them but my buddys keep telling me i have to compress the shocks but why would i have to do that if i bought the entire coilover kit??? wouldnt i just have to remove my old stock set up and install my new one???im confused so can someone please shed some light on this noob :) lol...thanx..

DC Guardian

Uniqueness defines
Most likely you would have to use your stock top hats, thats why. Unless you buy another set or extended top hats. You could do it without the compressor, grind off the top nut, but i garentee you things will be flying, including the grinder, ask me how i know lol id suggest a compressor but id also suggest a impact gun or a drill that allows sockets, b/c it takes.forever to compress it by ratchet, times 4 struts lol

Also, you may need the washers as well

Sent from my DC4

chozen93DA

thanx, i really dont want things flying around so maybe it is best to go with the compressor tool..

Buy a set of extended top hats or get another set from someone and you can just swap the assemblies over.

bkirshr

User that is Registered
you can go to autozone and rent it. it's a $50 deposit, but you get it back when you bring them back. If you don't need your OEM top hats, then you will need the compressors, but if they came with top hats then you don't.

Man A

homewreker
By entire coilover do you mean a full coilover? or just the sleeve and spring?

when i did mine i just layed them on the floor pointed it where it would hit anything and just removed the nut with an impact gun. It sprung out but it wasnt all crazy like some might expect. You shouldnt need to compress the coilover. If your using stock shocks just know that they work like crap and might bust if you lower the car. so you will need extended top hats or get new shocks like the skunk2 sport shock or similar as they are made for lowered cars. they are shorter