Clunker: My Fan won't work....

89Tegra

My car was involved in a stupid incident.

It hit the center divider on the freeway, whole left side of the car is bent to the right of it, i have pictures to show what im talking about. Finally the car starts but the fan wont turn on to cool the radiator down, so the car over heats and it doesnt take that long for it to start over heating.

I dont know what it is personally , I am a gal trying to learn how to fix my first car so when i break down on the side of the road i can at least try to see if i can fix the problem before i call AAA.

Any suggestions? :???:

89Tegra

Would it have to do something with the Radiator Fan Relay?

When I made a direct link from the battery to the fan input it worked but when I hooked the original cable back to the fan input I got nothing; not even a little movement.

Sorry for the back to back posts, I am just trying to figure out what is wrong with my car, so it doesnt end up in the junk yard, its still a decent car with a fan that needs some work.

CJ € racer

x2 on that one. unless if u dont have much fluid in there. i use to have the same problem and it just was casue there wasent enuf fluid to circulate so the relay never knew wen to start fan.:shock:

89Tegra

x2 on that one. unless if u dont have much fluid in there. i use to have the same problem and it just was casue there wasent enuf fluid to circulate so the relay never knew wen to start fan.:shock:
Many Thanks, I just put some coolant in it , 50- 50.. and it still started to over heat, it went to the middle i wasnt going to let it go any higher since its gotten to H 4 times and im not trying to blow anything.

I had to charge my car aswell as i dont know what is causing the battery to drain.

if you look at the pictures i hope you can see that one of the lights is pinched it wont go down. the other one on the passanger side goes down with out a problem but the drivers side light wont budge.

and another thing i found out.... my hatch windshield wiper is going in the opposite direction.. what could cause that ?

these are the few problems with this car... I would like to see this car working instead of going to the graveyard.

mirrorimg

What pictures are you talking about? If one of your pop up lights does not go down, you need to look at the mechanism to see why. The track may be stuck, or your accident could have bent something preventing it from retracting.

The coolant will keep your car cool, as long as there is something cooling it. When the car is moving, air passes through the radiator fins pulling heat away, cooling the liquid. When the car is sitting still, it relies on the fan to move the air and keep the coolant temperature down. If you overheat while the car is at speed, then you may need to look into the thermostat, or bleeding the cooling system to make sure there isnt an air pocket trapped in there.

You need to get a multimeter and start testing wires to locate your parasitic drain.

The wiper wires may be reversed, so the polarity is backwards (maybe?). Do you mean it wipes away from the window, and not across it?

89Tegra

it actually just goes in the opposite direction... down not up the pisser works except the right side, which aint nothing , but its just the fan, the sun roof and that wiper.

The Panch

The Homie
what hes trying to say is. its more than the fan.

cuz when the car is moving. it cools the fluid by air flowing passed/through the radiator.
even without a fan it shouldnt get to H while driving. maybe go up at reds and drive throughs but not in drive.

so there might be something else wrong as he mentioned an air pocket or bad thermostat

89Tegra

with the car, it was fine then one day it just died, it works now, but the fan doesnt come on at all. we did a direct link from the battery to the input for the fan and it worked but when we reconnected the original line it just didnt do anything. The sun roon retracts but wont close all the way it gets semi stuck in the middle .. the pisser on the right side passenger doesnt work, like i said thats nothing to replace. The hatch wiper goes down not up... the pisser for it i just found out works haha but not the wiper...

I put 50/50 coolant in her but she still went to the middle of the temp.

The pictures are in the garage. with a slight bio of the car. I have to put more pictures up.

the light on the other hand, looks pinched.. like it wont go down. i will put those pics up now, i think they will be in the garage... (new to this site sorry for being newbish)

Rich-PMS

850rpms

Sounds like you smashed some wires and/or blew some fuses.

Check your fuse boxes for bad fuses

89Tegra

850rpms

Sounds like you smashed some wires and/or blew some fuses.

Check your fuse boxes for bad fuses
checked all the fuses there was some that were blown, but they were replaced.

Past that its the front end of the vehicle... which makes me wonder what else is going to fail once this fan issue is fixed.. i wasnt able to check the thermo today..... I will be looking around more, im hoping that once i retweak the front end that it helps a bit.

Se7eN

If you still have the car, the thermo is easy to find on bottom of the passenger side of the radiator. Mine went bad not too long ago so i have a jumper wire keeping that circuit closed all the time so the fan stays on when the car in on. haven't bothered fixing that since i have more important problems.

Cripton805

checked all the fuses there was some that were blown, but they were replaced.

Past that its the front end of the vehicle... which makes me wonder what else is going to fail once this fan issue is fixed.. i wasnt able to check the thermo today..... I will be looking around more, im hoping that once i retweak the front end that it helps a bit.
Its very likely some wiring is damaged and youre getting shorts. Check them careflly

89Tegra

I was able to figure out what was wrong with the back wind shield wiper, it works but the pisser for it doesn't i can hear the nose from the res in the front just cant pin point why its not working i checked the hoses, the hoses are dirty on the outside but good on the inside, the pisser on the back top of the roof of the car does put out a dribble... but nothing more.

Further more, the front end issue is fixed, the cars alinement isn't going to be perfect, i don't have the money to invest into it to make it stream line, The passenger side pisser doesn't work and the tube is clean i have to buy new pissers i think or get some from a pick n pull.

I do have 2 questions so far after taking this long to reply and message back.

1. Sun room motor 25 bucks on eBay, amazon the motor opening is fine, closing it has no gumption at all to close.. you literally have to push and if your a weak chick like myself... i cant close it..

2. AC doesn't work.. it doesn't put out cool air at all.. just warm.. would that have to do with the freon needing to be recharged (if that's even the correct thing to do) or replaced?

other then that the car has been working great for my nursing classes 45 miles away.

Fuses were fine, the only other issue i am having is how to get the arm of the drivers light back on the socket so the motor can close it instead of me having to have 9 zip ties to help hold it up.. other then that i still have a pinch in the hood with the light that might cause some issues with the motor trying to close.