Charlotte (Nicks 95 GSR)

Nick_C78

Continued working on it again today.

So much damn build up for only being installed for 2 months...

Removed the whole tranny as well. Why? You'll see.

And for those you are curious just how shitty my header really is:

Oh the familiar site of the engine out of my car:

Removed all the ugly ABS lines:

Still have a lot of cleaning to do. That engine bay is nasty.

Removed my entire front brake system.

Out with the old:

Nick_C78

Yeah. I will be giving her a good scrubbing. Debating if I want to scrub it all gently by hand or put the knuckle back together and roll the car outside and pressure wash it. Time will tell.

Nick_C78

So I had a setback today. I went over to my head guys place and we looked over my block and we determined pretty damn fast that the bore and hone job on the block was done very shitty. There was all kind of jagged machining marks on the cylinder walls on the bottom half of the cylinder. It looks like either the tool they used to bore needs a fresh tip, or something got stuck inbetween the hone and the cylinder walls. All 4 cylinders were fucked beyond a simple hone repair due to previous machine work. Lovely. So After talking to my head guy I decided to pay damn near top dollar for the best block machinist he knows up here. Called them up and told them the situation and they were very helpful and understanding. Apparently when they hone the block they use a torque plate which simulates the real life stress that will be on the block during use, for a more accurate hone.

After talking to them I gathered the following plan for the short block. I am going to use the pistons and rods from old block (The 82mm PR3 pistons) and just get my new block bored to fit them. I will be bumping compression down drastically, which means I will have to retune again, but oh well. I am also getting custom spec piston rings from Total Seal. These will be to the specs(clamping force) that we feel will be the best for longevity and sealing. The machine shop will also set the ring gaps properly to eliminate any question that it was done right this time. Basically we are taking every precaution we can to make sure that there will be no smoking. Going to rape my bank account, but I want this shit to stop smoking. I don't care if it is overkill or not at this point lol.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
So I had a setback today. I went over to my head guys place and we looked over my block and we determined pretty damn fast that the bore and hone job on the block was done very shitty. There was all kind of jagged machining marks on the cylinder walls on the bottom half of the cylinder. It looks like either the tool they used to bore needs a fresh tip, or something got stuck inbetween the hone and the cylinder walls. All 4 cylinders were fucked beyond a simple hone repair due to previous machine work. Lovely. So After talking to my head guy I decided to pay damn near top dollar for the best block machinist he knows up here. Called them up and told them the situation and they were very helpful and understanding. Apparently when they hone the block they use a torque plate which simulates the real life stress that will be on the block during use, for a more accurate hone.

After talking to them I gathered the following plan for the short block. I am going to use the pistons and rods from old block (The 82mm PR3 pistons) and just get my new block bored to fit them. I will be bumping compression down drastically, which means I will have to retune again, but oh well. I am also getting custom spec piston rings from Total Seal. These will be to the specs(clamping force) that we feel will be the best for longevity and sealing. The machine shop will also set the ring gaps properly to eliminate any question that it was done right this time. Basically we are taking every precaution we can to make sure that there will be no smoking. Going to rape my bank account, but I want this shit to stop smoking. I don't care if it is overkill or not at this point lol.
Sorry to hear man... At least now you know exactly what's wrong and what you need to do to make everything work right. I wish you the best of luck during this build. You know who to hit up when it comes time to tuning.

Nick_C78

Yeah, itll be cool to not be a train. Giving up compression shouldn't hurt that much either since I wasn't fully utilizing it with my cams.

Local

Wowwww.. that's fucked up. That is seriously some fucked up shit dude, sorry. Hurts to hear of more problems, so can imagine where your heads at.

Aside from all that bullshit, and once its all said and done, you will have one of the nicest blocks around. Just too bad it took a series of unfortunate events to get there.

Estimated down time?

Nick_C78

Yeah...shit happens. It will be a damn solid block when it is finished.

And yeah no problem dylan. I will try to save the specs for you.

Nick_C78

Well I did a ton of work on my car today...well it felt like a lot at least.

First off I cleaned up my engine bay a little. Still not as clean as I would like it. The paint is just too messed up to really clean up nicely.

First I bagged up everything that needed to stay out of the water:

After that I got in to removing those ugly ass orange plugs from my abs:

This was utter hell....ended up cutting it in to strips and pulling it through the firewall from the inside

I decided to do everything the right way so I removed the dash to make it easier to get to everything. While I had it out I decided to remove some unneeded things and shed more weight. I also removed the heater core cause it was broken anyways.

On a strange note, I found this weird ass picture in the car...No wonder Charlotte has been being a b****. Part of the previous owner that treated her like s*** was still inside.

Anyways here is the semi-finished product of the engine bay clean up. I also put new looming on the wires and all that fun stuff.

I still have to mount the wires so they aren't just laying there like that, but I will worry about that the next time I am back in AV to work on her.

Last edited:

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Looks a lot better but take some ultimate compound to that shit. And tuck the alarm while the dash is out.

redGSRguy

Damn looks like your problems don't end. At least you can see the light at the end of the tunnel now. bet you can't wait to get it all put back together and back on the road!!!

I have that feeling with my DD, I can't wait to have a quieter ride, a/c, p/s and stereo.

Nick_C78

Damn that's a lot of work :thumbs up. Lol at the passport photo.
Yeah man, it was a lot of work, but it will be worth it in the end I think.

Looks a lot better but take some ultimate compound to that s***. And tuck the alarm while the dash is out.
I am going to try to use ultimate compound on it, but I don't think any amount of detailing is going to improve it. The paint is just too fucked. Also, my dash is already back in the car. But Yeah I will be tucking it. I hate where it is lol.

Damn looks like your problems don't end. At least you can see the light at the end of the tunnel now. bet you can't wait to get it all put back together and back on the road!!!

I have that feeling with my DD, I can't wait to have a quieter ride, a/c, p/s and stereo.
I know right. Yeah it will be nice to have a solid motor finally. Good learning experience though lol. Just sucks I will be giving up compression and going to have to retune. Curious how much power I will lose because of it.

dirtylou212

You are a big help bro i appreciate that. Now Im going in the right direction. Thanks bro i am Lou also new to the forum