Catless exhaust sounds like crap, anyone else?

Sirfallsalot243

I recently swapped out my high flow cat for a test pipe since im now exempt from emissions. I was happy that I picked up 6whp just from swapping it out, but damn, it sounds like shit. Before it was nice and throaty, very aggressive. Now its kind of raspy and "pop pop" ish. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this when eliminating their cat? Its almost worth losing the 6whp just to have my car sound less like a ricer.

My current setup: JDM ITR 4-1 header w/ 2.5" collector, 2.5" test pipe, Apexi N1 2.36" catback.

Ill soon be switching to: Hytech/RAGE header, 2.5" exhaust (probably Tsudo N1).

Sirfallsalot243

Yeah, the Apexi N1 came with the car, and i havent gotten around to swapping it out just yet. I made 185whp with basically no cam tuning (only ex has been retarded), so im content for now. Once i get the new exhaust setup on, ill be pushing 195, im just concerned about the sound. Ive been putting my money into some exterior mods recently (98+ conversion).

JimmyRos.

07 BMW 328Xi
what's your setup? you're making 195whp with only I.H.E???????????????????????????

good luck on the 98+ conversion. im doing it also.

Sirfallsalot243

B18C1 engine
B16 pistons w/ hastings rings
crower 63403 stage 3 cams
supertech valvesprings
manley retainters
3 angle valve job
new valves and valve seals
head milled .01"
act stage 1 clutch
exedy 9.4lb flywheel
blox im
rc 310cc injectors
hondata s200
comptech intake/icebox
aem cam gears

and you know the exhaust setup

bigbro6785

Nice looking set up. But thats how the exhaust is gonna sound with the test pipe. I had one on an ls with i/h/e and it sounded just as crappy. Great performance upgrade tho :thumbs up I just installed it when i would go to the track, and keep the cat in for normal driving. Only takes about 20 minutes to swap it out.

JimmyRos.

07 BMW 328Xi
Sirfallsalot243 said:
B18C1 engine
B16 pistons w/ hastings rings
crower 63403 stage 3 cams
supertech valvesprings
manley retainters
3 angle valve job
new valves and valve seals
head milled .01"
act stage 1 clutch
exedy 9.4lb flywheel
blox im
rc 310cc injectors
hondata s200
comptech intake/icebox
aem cam gears

and you know the exhaust setup
sweet. i have yet to mod my motor. sadly enough im broke.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
It's going to sound like shit without the cat. Putting a big pre-silencer in your exhaust will calm it down a little and take some of the raspiness [sic?] out of it

integra4life29

Im in a band DO ME!!!!!
My cat is gutted and it dont sound that bad. but it wasnt by choice, the inside of my cat melted so I had to gut it out....if I had the choice Id run a HF cat.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
I just see alot of people do that instead of getting a highflow cat or test pipe, they think it helps.....it doesn't. It will only hurt power. But atleast you didn't do it on purpose thinking it would make it faster lol