Car starts then cuts off

emmanuel2112

puertoricanLS
i really doubt its the altenator, becuz the car starts up fine. But when i am at a light it starts to like bogg. Now can somebody answer my question aboutG-power and iridium ^^

slantyeyedkid

what the alternator does is recharge the battery. if you have a bad altenator, your battery does not get recharged and then cant start up or power anything else. my friend had a problem like this, started fine and then waited 15 min and then she left, 15 min later she was on the side of the road. so take a look at it.

mteg

Automatic Lover
get a volt gauge and that will answer your question about the alternator...
Your'e better off investing in a good voltmeter. This will become your best friend when trying to diagnose electrical problems.

emmanuel2112

puertoricanLS
Well i really dont know wtf is up with my car. I have changed spark plugs, wires, cap/rotor, coil, fuel pump fuel filter, main relay, and module (in the distributor). I just changed the main relay and was hopin dat would be it. but no. I started the car and let it idle for about a minute before it started actin up, like in boggin. the rpm's would go to 1500 then back to 700 for a go0d 30 seconds before it cut off. Now im going to do a very last check of my alternator to see if dats it. I doubt it becuz my car starts up. if its an alternator problem i dont think the car would even start up. Help once again u guys. Any ideas??

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
You know i don't understand some people. You can pull your alternator off and take it in to autozone and get it checked FOR FREE to see if its any good. But instead, because you obviously have a degree in mechanics, you decide to waste all this time buying useless parts that in no way could results in the problem that your car is having, yet you ask for advice and then shut it down. YOUR ALTENATOR SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE FIRST THING YOU TESTED! Your cars owner is a dumbass thats what the problem is.

emmanuel2112

puertoricanLS
U see i think i know my car better then anyone else, and for some reason i knew it wasent the alternator. i just got back from discount autoparts and they checked the alternator, and they said it was good. It dropped sometimes but overall it stayed above it where it should be. they told me dat it was probly starting to go out. So much for the dumbass right. But i let them do a computer check again and now its a different code. It says "manufacturers ignition problem or misfire" She told me to take it to an actual garage or the dealership. Problem is i dont think my car can make it dat far. Im not mad about all the parts dat i bought for the car becuz it needed to be done anyways. the car has almost 150,000 on it. so i just gave it a go0d ass tune up. but its just diz problem dat i need to fix. Anybody can help me.
> could it be my injectors
>or my timming belt ( i doubt it)
> this could'nt be a bad ground right

Last edited:

mteg

Automatic Lover
When the car shuts off, does everything else in the car go dead, like the radio or the lights. If so, it's going to probably be a short somewhere. Your're injectors would have to be pretty fucked up to asue the car to stall out. Basically, you would have known a drop in power over a period of time. What do your spark plugs look like, or what did they look like before you swapped them. If an injector or injectors were going, you would have been leaning it out, which would be obvious when checking your plugs. I wouldn't rule out the alternator as the culprit. Maybe it isn't the root cause, but something connected to it probably is.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Ok so since you finally diagnosed it as not being your altenator. Does it start right up again after it dies or do you have to wait a while. Also how does it start up, does it take awhile to crank or does it crank right up.

emmanuel2112

puertoricanLS
When it cold it might start up right away idle for a little and then die. After dat it starts up right away and then dies. I have to give it a lot of gas as soon as it starts up, bring the rpm's to like 6k and then try to ride for a lil bit before it cuts off. I made it like 3 miles to my house before it cut off on me, when i was at a light it was boggin like it wanted to cut off but i just gave it mad gas and kept it there until it turned green. But what i dont get is that i am throwing a "manufactures ignition problem or misfire" code, when the problem sounds like fuel.

slantyeyedkid

so when you are at a stop it starts bogging on you. well i had a grand am b4 getting a teg, but that happened to the grand am. i checked everything on it, was in d.c when it first happened, car started to cut out at lights or when it was at idle. do you also have a lack of power? try the throttle positions sensor, that was my problem.