Cams For My R

SOLOTR95

What are some good cams for my Type-R. Im looking for some torque gains over horses. Can anyone suggest some good ones?

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Toda really makes the sickest cam profiles. Not many people make cam profiles for B series engines that compare to them. I guess it depend how far you want to go. But it isn't like you really want to stick Toda D spec's on an internally stock engine or anything that is even street driven. They have ridiculous lift and duration. But even the basic Toda A spec's have more lift and duration than Spoon cams. The Spoon cam specs are actually rather mild. Their specs land right in between Skunk2 stage 1 and 2

If you're gonna go boost, then I wouldn't worry about either of those N/A cams. Crower makes B series cams designed for boost

Last edited:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
I didn't say you shouldn't. If you were to supercharge it, then Crower makes cams specifically for forced inducted B series engines. They have less duration but higher lift to achieve the same flow rates. They also have a much different lobe seperation angle to reduce overlap help keep pressurized air from blowing through. Boosted cars do not need as much help from overlap and scavenging due to the pressure forcing air in and exhaust out

heykosal

Angkorian
SOLOTR95 said:
So if I was going to supercharge my R why shouldnt I get cams?
great question!!:thumbup:

and whats up with the skunk 2 FI cams?

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Oh, I forgot about skunk2 FI cams. Never hear too much about them. Most boosted B's I see have Crower, I believe the Crowers more aggressive specs but Skunk2 doesn't really specify where they begin their measurement for duration and lift. Crower gives you specific specs stating that they measure lift on a 1.55 rocker ratio and duration at .50"

I think it is about time everyone give specific specs and include their ramp rate of their cam lobes so we can really see what the cams are about

Last edited:

SOLOTR95

Ok so now i get what your saying. So if I wanted to go with a N/A set up then TODA would be the cams to go with.

This is going to be a really imbarresing question but what does N/A stand for I thought I knew and I thought I knew what a N/A set up consisted of but I guess not.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
N/A = Naturally Aspirated (natural breathing or all motor)
FI = Forced Inducted (booooost)

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Actually, Spoon cams have nearly identical lift of Toda A's, and nearly identical duration of Toda B's. Spoon cams also have staggered non-VTEC lobes (one is taller than the other) to induce swirl filling of the cylinders (Non-VTEC lobes on all OEM DOHC VTEC cams are staggered). Toda's non-VTEC lobes are both equal height, non-staggered. I'm sure dc2GS-R can explain the advantages/disadvantages of each design better than I could. Check out the Aftermarket VTEC Cams Sticky I posted in the All Motor Forum. I'd go with something not too extreme, so they will work well with your stock compression and there'll be no need to build the bottom end. I know if I owned an ITR I wouldn't want to touch the bottom end, I'd wanna keep it stock.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
TegSox said:
Actually, Spoon cams have nearly identical lift of Toda A's, and nearly identical duration of Toda B's. Spoon cams also have staggered non-VTEC lobes (one is taller than the other) to induce swirl filling of the cylinders (Non-VTEC lobes on all OEM DOHC VTEC cams are staggered). Toda's non-VTEC lobes are both equal height, non-staggered. I'm sure dc2GS-R can explain the advantages/disadvantages of each design better than I could. Check out the Aftermarket VTEC Cams Sticky I posted in the All Motor Forum. I'd go with something not too extreme, so they will work well with your stock compression and there'll be no need to build the bottom end. I know if I owned an ITR I wouldn't want to touch the bottom end, I'd wanna keep it stock.
The Spoon cams are great mild cams. (Int-256/ 11.5mm lift & Exh-245 / 11.1mm lift)

If I was going to build an ITR though it would be a pissed off all motor machine. Toda C have awesome midrange power but with a slightly bumpy idle. But their VTEC lobes are what I would be after (Int-295/12.5mm lift & Exh-295/ 12.5mm lift) They aren't as nasty as Skunk2 stg3 or Toda D but those too are essentially unstreetable. Toda also uses high lobe ramp speeds to get more power with the same duration. That is why even the basic Toda A spec requires valvespring upgrades

Last edited: