b16a or b18c?

trentonc24

I have a few simple questions that I haven't been able to answer by searching. I'm currently debating between a b16 > http://www.jdm-online.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14&products_id=74&zenid=b623b835f65baaab71c362314e933687 or a b18 > http://www.jdm-online.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14&products_id=75&zenid=b623b835f65baaab71c362314e933687
I currently have a GSR with a jdm b18c, I bought the engine from jazzproparts.com and swaped it myself and i noticed the transmission grinding in 3rd gear right away, I've drove it for about a year (around 10,000 miles) and its worse now, and I'm looking to sell it, and the tranny, hopefully for a combined total of at least 2,200$ The reason i'm asking this question is because the b16 only has 10 hp less than the b18, and its alot cheaper, and I plan on building this engine up, little by little, and maybe eventually adding boost, and I read that the b16 block handles boost really well. However I will be riding it stock for awhile, and my car weighs about 200-300 pounds more than a normal GSR due to the aftermarket speakers, amps, lambo door hinges, and about 50 pounds of sound deadening, so I was worried about having to much strain on the b16 from it not having enough torque or something. I need opinions. Also, would the B16 work with the factory b18c ECU and all that? or would I have to change or add wires to the B16 ECU, or just replace my b18c ECU with a b16 ECU. I'm kinda new to this, I've had mechanical expereince with these engines, but nothing electrical, as far as engine wiring goes anyways. Thanks alot for the help, sorry its such a long post

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
B16 has no torque, you will feel the diference and slap yourself for it, just get another tranny and keep the B18

Winki

Undercover mod
Just what he said^^^^^^
The B16 is the torqueless wonder you can find another tranny for a reasonible price for your gsr.
But i would not use a b16 over an gsr and why buy a new engine when you can just buy a new tranny.
In the short term try changing your tranny fluid and adding some syncromesh

trentoncc24

Only reason I plan to buy a new engine is because the clutch and the syncros are going out in mine, and plus it doesn't have LSD. It would be just as cheap and better in the long run if I just sold my engine and bought a new one with LSD, because I would have a new clutch, transmission, and the engine would have less wear and tear on it. Thanks for the help though, I guess I'll stick with the B18C

Sirfallsalot243

I know guys with a B16 in their integra. Theyre as slow as LS's. An LS with a B16 tranny would SMOKE a B16 swapped teg. Keep the B18C. Do one of two things:

Sell your tranny, and buy an ITR tranny for as low as $900 (thats the lowest ive seen on HT)
Buy an ITR LSD, rebuild your tranny, and throw in the LSD.

Youll kick yourself if you put in a B16.

g3teg97

Super Moderator
If your transmission is grinding and the snycho's are messed up, why not get another tranny? I wouldn't rebuild it, but if I were you, I'd probably get another GS-R tranny and add a Quaife LSD to it.

Trust me, you don't want to loose any torque. 8)

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
trentoncc24 said:
Only reason I plan to buy a new engine is because the clutch and the syncros are going out in mine, and plus it doesn't have LSD. It would be just as cheap and better in the long run if I just sold my engine and bought a new one with LSD
You realize that the LSD is in the tranny, right? From the way your wording things, it sounds like you think the LSD is in the engine.

JDM B18c = 178HP@7600/129TQ@6200
USDM B16 = 160HP@7600/111TQ@7000

That 18 lb/ft of torque is huge, and it comes 800 rpm's sooner that the B16's.

Last edited:

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
TegSox said:
You realize that the LSD is in the tranny, right? From the way your wording things, it sounds like you think the LSD is in the engine.

JDM B18c = 178HP@7600/129TQ@6200
USDM B16 = 160HP@7600/111TQ@7000

That 18 lb/ft of torque is huge, and it comes 800 rpm's sooner that the B16's.
Not only that number might be dismal im paper but drive a 99 00 SI and then get on a G3 GSR an youll be like WTF ( both car's stock), is a big diference IMO

trentoncc24

Yes I realize that the LSD is in the tranny, the engine I would be buying would come with a tranny, with the LSD already in it. However, I'm not quiet sure by what a ITR tranny is, or what HT is?

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
trentoncc24 said:
Yes I realize that the LSD is in the tranny, the engine I would be buying would come with a tranny, with the LSD already in it. However, I'm not quiet sure by what a ITR tranny is, or what HT is?
ITR tranny means is a Integra Type R tranny, all come with LSD and sorter gears and final drive than the GSR

Some JDM GSR ( SI VTEC/SIR-G) tranny's had LSD

H-T means honda-tech.com

trentoncc24

Alright, I get it, I sat there for like 10 mins trying to figure out what ITR meant. I'll probably just end up getting another JDM GSR engine with GSR tranny with LSD, I think that'd work the best. However I'm kinda "turbo curious" and I believe that one day, not soon, but sometime when I get the time in money, that I want to put a turbo on it, but in the mean time I would like to do some smaller mods, to kinda build the engine up, and get it ready for a turbo I guess you can say. So what would be a good idea to start with, also, I prefer my gas mileage to stay above 20 mpg also, being that it will be my daily driver.

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
CTR
B16B
1595cc
10.8:1 CR
185hp @ 8200 rpm
118 lb/ft @ 7500 rpm
$4000

ITR
B18C
1797cc