b16 or ls/vtec

CHILD

all day all JDM
that WHOPPING 10lbs of torque in a slightly heavier engine doesn't make much of a difference. I guess its worth the extra thousand dollars. Not IMO.

also, when people shoot for LS/VTEC....just think for a moment why most people use a B16 head over a B18 head. It just might be because of the flow. I wasn't stating that the JDM B16 has more power up top.....but it does flow better than the GSR head which would be better in the long run, if this dude bumped the displacement in the B16.

if he did it my way, he'd end up with a refreshened bottom end, at least that 10ft/lbs of torque if not more, and a better flowing head. *ta-da* tri-fecta :thumbs up

edit: not to mention it'll be cheaper than a LS/VTEC....saving money is always a plus

Sirfallsalot243

CHILD said:
that WHOPPING 10lbs of torque in a slightly heavier engine doesn't make much of a difference. I guess its worth the extra thousand dollars. Not IMO.

also, when people shoot for LS/VTEC....just think for a moment why most people use a B16 head over a B18 head. It just might be because of the flow. I wasn't stating that the JDM B16 has more power up top.....but it does flow better than the GSR head which would be better in the long run, if this dude bumped the displacement in the B16.

if he did it my way, he'd end up with a refreshened bottom end, at least that 10ft/lbs of torque if not more, and a better flowing head. *ta-da* tri-fecta :thumbs up

edit: not to mention it'll be cheaper than a LS/VTEC....saving money is always a plus
If 10lbs of torque doesnt matter, why do people do B20 swaps in their cars? The B18B is 140hp 127tq, while the B20Z is 146hp and 133tq. People even swap in B20B's which are 126hp, 133tq. If the measly 6lbs of tq is enough to make someone do a swap, i would think 10lbs would be even more so.

Your right, for LSVTEC the B16 is a better head to use, and I never said otherwise. In fact, I always recommend the B16 because it flows better (its actually quite similar to the head of a B18C5). I was contesting that the B16 BOTTOM end isnt a good option for a teg due to the lack of torque.

It should also be noted that the differences between the B16 and the GSR head are MINIMAL, at best. Due to the (relative) overpricing of B16 heads, it often makes more sense to get a GSR head and have it ported. The only reason the B16 head flows better is because of the differences in OEM porting, which for the difference of the price between the two could be fixed, leaving you with a GSR head that produces MORE power than a stock B16. But I do agree with you, stock for stock, the B16 is a better head, and if you can find one for the same price as a B18C head, the B16 is the way to go.

Optimally, a B20Z bottom end with a B16 head would make a great combo (the B20Z has a 9.6:1 CR over the B20b's 8.8:1). Great torque AND top end. Although the B20Z is somewhat rare, you could get a B20b and install flat top 9.6 CR pistons in there, as well as the B16 head. This would leave you with a fresh bottom end, and a wicked fast motor.

CHILD

all day all JDM
( we sound like two car bitches going back and forth ahahah....i love tha forums)

anyway, people do the B20B swap because in order for it to fit right in a civic or teg, you have to swap out the IM with an LS and i *think* a couple other things, which help it to produce more HP than the stock B20 itself. So they end up with more HP, and more torque.

HAHAHa......we're BOTH SMART :)

SlammedCivic

It depends on your goals for the car...If it was me, and a second car, I would go with the LSvtec for sure. But if it was my DD I would go with the B16...

LSvtec < reliability

Sirfallsalot243

CHILD said:
( we sound like two car bitches going back and forth ahahah....i love tha forums)

anyway, people do the B20B swap because in order for it to fit right in a civic or teg, you have to swap out the IM with an LS and i *think* a couple other things, which help it to produce more HP than the stock B20 itself. So they end up with more HP, and more torque.

HAHAHa......we're BOTH SMART :)
LOL

The B20B has the "giraffe" intake manifold that doesnt fit under a teg hood. The increases are substantial, but not enough to bump a b20b up 20hp. The B20Z's IM fits under the teg's hood, but is also inferior compared to the IM of the B18B.