b16 or ls/vtec

715guy

i am thinking about doing a ls/vtec conversion, and i comes across a b16 with lsd trans for $1000. what do you guys think?

teggyls

STREET SAMURAI
stick with the LS and boost it like integrasarebest said

Sirfallsalot243

I had thought about a B16 before. The B16 isnt a good option for a teg because they really dont have much torque. I know guys who said a B18B with a B16 tranny will beat a B16 engine and tranny. Sure, the B16 is 170 hp, but its only 113 ft/lbs of TQ. The B18B is 140hp with 127 tq. Plus the B18b is perfect for boost.

If you build an LSVTEC, youll be pushing 190-200hp, with a good amount of tq. Thats my vote.

lsvtecmyke

Sirfallsalot243 said:
I had thought about a B16 before. The B16 isnt a good option for a teg because they really dont have much torque. I know guys who said a B18B with a B16 tranny will beat a B16 engine and tranny. Sure, the B16 is 170 hp, but its only 113 ft/lbs of TQ. The B18B is 140hp with 127 tq. Plus the B18b is perfect for boost.

If you build an LSVTEC, youll be pushing 190-200hp, with a good amount of tq. Thats my vote.
stock lsvtec is going to be like 185 to the FLY

Sirfallsalot243

I said if you BUILD an LSVTEC. And all my numbers were referring to the flywheel. B16 is 170 at the flywheel, B18B is 140 at the flywheel, and a built LSVTEC can reach 200 at the flywheel.

CHILD

all day all JDM
uhmmm not to sound like an ass, but to enlighten you a bit.....a B16 doesn't have much less torque than the LS and GSR.
the noticeable difference is the top end. The GSR outperforms stock vs stock. Its not the torque.

I'd go with the B16 option....it'll be much cheaper, and if you're soo bent on the torque.....then buy some overbore pistons and bump up the displacment on the B16. then you'll have more torque, a VTEC head and a more fresh motor (due to the new pistons and machine work) :) im soo smart

chicolindopr

Ls/vtec No DOubt About It...UR LS BLOCK WILL PRODUCE MORE TORQUE AND STILL HAVE DAT EXTRA VTEC POWER FROM DA VTEC HEAD

Shea

well now...
chicolindopr said:
Ls/vtec No DOubt About It...UR LS BLOCK WILL PRODUCE MORE TORQUE AND STILL HAVE DAT EXTRA VTEC POWER FROM DA VTEC HEAD
ahhh stop yelling :shocked2:

if anybody wants more torque just drop a big block in a teg :smokin:

Sirfallsalot243

CHILD said:
uhmmm not to sound like an ass, but to enlighten you a bit.....a B16 doesn't have much less torque than the LS and GSR.
the noticeable difference is the top end. The GSR outperforms stock vs stock. Its not the torque.

I'd go with the B16 option....it'll be much cheaper, and if you're soo bent on the torque.....then buy some overbore pistons and bump up the displacment on the B16. then you'll have more torque, a VTEC head and a more fresh motor (due to the new pistons and machine work) :) im soo smart
B16A (SIR-I) 160hp 111tq
B16A (SIR-II) 170hp 113tq
B18C1 170hp 123tq
B18C5 200hp 134 tq

Check your numbers buddy. The horsepower is EXACTLY the same, and the powerbands are relativly similar. Its the torque.