Aem Intake Dilemma!

bubba03

Okay, I purchased a CAI from AEM and I believe their product is awesome and they have a great tone. My girlfriend has a 00' Ex civic and it has an AEM CAI and it just GROWLS when you get on it or even under normal acceleration. But I just installed my AEM today and I checked everything to make sure it was good and tight and everything was hooked up properly. Took it down the road and couldn't hear anything! All I could here was a whistling noice. Checked all the clamps and couplings and they were tight. WTF? Anyone else have this problem? I had a 00'GSR with the same intake and I could hear it growl! Let me know if you guys could think of anything else I may be over looking. Thanks.

VTECking

I VTAK'd on U!!!
I ordered a eBay CAI for $30 shipped and I hear mine growl. Maybe you have a hole in yours, that might be the problem.

DC2Integ

I ♥ My Integra
CAI dont tend to growl as aggressively as a SRI would.

bubba03

I beg to differ because I have 3 buddies who drive 00' Si's and they all have CAI that sound sick. And like I said I had a CAI on my last GSR and it growled. Do you know what the hissing is? Checked over for holes and nothin! ALso, has anyone ever had a problem with the heat shield above the cat ratteling?

VTECking

I VTAK'd on U!!!
Does the Filter have a hole that forms a inward cone in the front of it "hole should be manufactured with filter covering the outside of the cone." if it does, then those kind of filters make that noise. To fix that all you have to do is got to Advance Auto Parts and pick up a filter that doesnt have a inward cone in the front of it.

bubba03

Why? Everything is hooked up properly with no leaks or holes visible to the human eye! I dont follow your logic to reinstalling it.

mteg

Automatic Lover
Lol, but my AEM coa doesn't make a growling noise. Idk, but I would be less worried about what sound it makes, and more worried about a noticable performance gain. If you want a loud intake, go with an AEM v2.

end005

word. my intake doesn't growl. back in the day, in my dad's 91 civic sedan, we took out the complete air box fron under the bumper, floored it and it growled like hell. since then, none of the cars i've owned, or been in the family ever growled. they 'hissed' more than anything.
________
Health store

Last edited:

tsu878

"Supersonic Vtec fun"
i got an aem cai and mine does the hissing thing too, i sure can fill more power, so thats cool.

Surferman

My AEM short ram just makes my engine tone kinda deeper, sounds more like a stang when i slam the gas. Like if your drive and you use full throttle you can hear the air rushing in. I think its louder than my SP2 exhaust! Of course sri are louder.

bubba03

Thanks guys for your advice. I got in her today and I noticed she pulls alot harder than she did before. Thats what counts is the performance and she does perform so its all good! All just have to get used to the bird call! lol

db_r

!ocsic
AEM SRI - louder tone, and hiss
AEM CAI - hiss
(aem filter on both)

I've experienced both. I switch them on my car by seasons.