92 LS major problems, please read!

digital whiskey

Okay, here goes. 92 LS, 5-speed, 195k.

Car was doing fine, no signs that anything was wrong. About 6 weeks ago, I was driving then all of a sudden, Check Engine Light came on, revs dropped, I engaged clutch and car died. Rolled into a parking spot and tried to start it. Engine cranks but won't start. I noticed that I couldn't here my fuel pump priming, so I figured that was the issue.

Towed it home and the first thing I checked was the PGM-FI relay under the dash on driver side. Checked to make sure that the relay was getting power and that was clicking. Checked OK. Then I pulled the relay out and checked it according to a Haynes' Manual. Checked out okay. Cracked the line at the fuel filter and there was no fuel. So, I assumed that the pump was indeed faulty. Dropped the tank and removed the pump. I hardwired it to the battery to check it, it engaged but only barely. And by barely, I mean you could hardly tell. Cool, I thought. Just replace the pump and I'm set.

Ordered a new pump and hooked it up. Nothing. Would not prime, wasn't even getting voltage. Okay, the relay must be bad. The factory relay was a RZ-0067, I found a relay on eBay (RZ-0063 which is inter-changeable) and put it in. Relay clicked, was getting proper voltage and passed all checks just as my factory one did. Yet again, nothing. No voltage to the pump. Voltage is getting to the sending unit but not to the pump. I pulled up all the carpet and traced the wires all the way, after not finding a single defect I decided that I would jump the relay. It worked, pump engaged, however, pump was hot at all times. Tried various other jumps but couldn't find anything agreeable.

So, as a desperate measure, I hardwired the pump to the battery through a switch. Got it all wired up, pump works plenty of fuel getting to the rail. Turned the key. Cranks but won't fire. After cussing and stomping my feet and yanked a plug out and checked for spark. Nothing. No spark.

Now, I assume I lost spark in the first place and I was working on the wrong end of the car the entire time. But, I'm 101% sure that the pump was faulty and needed replaced.

What else should I check? Where should I go next? And is this no-spark problem causing my relay to not engage the pump? Could my ECU be faulty? I've heard that a failed oil pump will disable the fuel pump as a preventive measure. I'm losing it, its been 6 weeks since my Teg has been rolling.

Any and all help would be greatly obliged.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
Dropped the tank and removed the pump.
FYI, you don't have to drop the tank to replace the pump on these intergras... just pull up the back seat

digital whiskey said:
Ordered a new pump and hooked it up. Nothing. Would not prime, wasn't even getting voltage. Okay, the relay must be bad. The factory relay was a RZ-0067, I found a relay on eBay (RZ-0063 which is inter-changeable) and put it in. Relay clicked, was getting proper voltage and passed all checks just as my factory one did. Yet again, nothing. No voltage to the pump. Voltage is getting to the sending unit but not to the pump. I pulled up all the carpet and traced the wires all the way, after not finding a single defect I decided that I would jump the relay. It worked, pump engaged, however, pump was hot at all times. Tried various other jumps but couldn't find anything agreeable.
I think that answers your problem...

whiskey said:
So, as a desperate measure, I hardwired the pump to the battery through a switch. Got it all wired up, pump works plenty of fuel getting to the rail. Turned the key. Cranks but won't fire. After cussing and stomping my feet and yanked a plug out and checked for spark. Nothing. No spark.
Figure out why you don't have spark... If it's the distributor, spark plug wires, engine harness... I had a chipmunk chew thru all but 4 wires of my engine harness once.. That cause a no-spark issue.

whiskey said:
is this no-spark problem causing my relay to not engage the pump? Could my ECU be faulty? I've heard that a failed oil pump will disable the fuel pump as a preventive measure. I'm losing it, its been 6 weeks since my Teg has been rolling.
no, I think the reason your pump isn't engaging is because you have the wrong relay in there

ECU COULD be faulty, but I doubt it.

Failed oil pump wouldn't disable the fuel pump on this old of a car... Unless you siezed the engine and that's why it's not firing... that would explain your no-spark too, but you're cranking the engine, so that's not an issue...

I suggest you get the right relay, and start chasing that spark issue.

Man A

homewreker
FYI, you don't have to drop the tank to replace the pump on these intergras... just pull up the back seat.
that is not true. when you pull the seat back all youll get to is the electrical connector for the fuel level sensor and the fuel pump.

gotta drop that tank:thumbdown

Man A

homewreker
have you checked the ignition control module? or the ignition coil?

rainshdw08

um...timing belt broke? Same thing happened to me...in friggen canada, like in the middle of nowhere.

Definetly could cause no spark. Did your engine sound funny when trying to crank...like kinda monotone vs regular sound? If so, timing belt broke.

fwiw...before my belt broke, was restoring car. Had issues with starting, replaced entire ignition system, including fuel pump, ran great...until the belt broke.

hondahead_dave

isn't that for a civic/ del sol? My mechanic said he had to drop the gas tank when he put my walbro in......

maq

My car did the same thing. It wouldn't start because of my timing belt had snapped. check it before you spend any more money on stuff you might not need.

b18a1muas

check your engine wire harness.. And the ones that plug up to the ecu. Mines had some green corrosion on them. That my only suggestion

tomas1.8ls

my friends car was the same way and it was the wiring harness to his ecu... damn mice ate through most the wires and some were still attached but because the mice ate at them they were grounding off and not working like his fuel pump and also spark. so i would check that

DAintegra

for your relay you could just buy a multi purpose relay.. run one wire from an ignition wire so when the ignition is on it kicks on the relay... one from the battery to relay... one from relay to pump... then one ground and then you wont have to worry about the switch.... used to wire up air ride and thats how compressors would be wired so they come on when the car is on

digital whiskey

Thanks for your posts guys.

Still haven't had a chance to even work on my car. The Teg is at my father-in-law's house and he's going through a nasty divorce, can't even go over there.

I know its not the relay. I've got two known good relays. I know there good because I've tried them both in another Integra.

I have no spark or fuel. So, I'm guessing its something to do with the ECU, it has to be that or something else that manages both spark and fuel.

But I'm sure I'm going to have more problems now that the car has been sitting since August.